Judge Michael Motlhabi has overturned the decision by Village Magistrate Court’s Lindiwe Makgoro to grant founding director general of the Directorate of Intelligence Services (DIS) Isaac Kgosi bail and was subsequently arrested Friday evening. Delivering the judgement on Friday (yesterday), Judge Motlhabi ordered that “the decision by magistrate Makgoro to grant Kgosi bail is hereby reviewed and set aside”. He further added that the second respondent (Kgosi) be brought before a different judicial officer at the Magistrate Court on Thursday 11 November 2021.
“The Regional Magistrate South, is directed to assign this matter to a different magistrate on or before Monday 8 November 2021,” Judge Motlhabi emphasized. Kgosi was searched on the 24th of October by the security agents where several items were recovered from his premises in Phakalane. He was however given bail on the 27th of October after three nights in custody. The arguments that accorded him a bail from his attorneys, Thabiso Tafila and Unoda Mack, was premised on the innocent until proven guilty base. Further the argument by the state that he might interfere with the witnesses was shot down because it was just mere speculation which do not suffice in the courts. As such he was given a bail.
He was given bail conditions that included reporting to a police station once every two weeks. He was also directed not to interfere with potential state witness or obstruct the course of justice, his passport remained in the custody of the police and was not to leave the country without the permission of the investigating officer. However three days later after getting bail, the state filed an urgent application for review of the bail. The reasoning from state was the magistrate ignored competent evidence that Kgosi is likely to interfere with witnesses and that all potential witnesses had not yet and were still to be interviewed.
“The applicant (state) therefore states that it is likely to suffer irreparable harm if the matter is not heard urgently as it will not have substantial redress in due course,” Judge Motlhabi told court. This led to his bail revoked and ended up arrested. Kgosi is facing a possible 25 years jail sentence if found guilty. He is facing six charges of possession of three armored vests, possession of military uniform (a camouflage pants and a barrete). Possession of two battle bags, tactical bags, possession of fake passports, omang and having ammunition without license.
The Botswana Democratic Party (BDP) Central Committee (CC) meeting, chaired by President Dr Mokgweetsi Masisi late last month, resolved that the party’s next Secretary-General (SG) should be a full-time employee based at Tsholetsa House and not active in politics.
The resolution by the CC, which Masisi proposed, is viewed as a ploy to deflate the incumbent, Mpho Balopi’s political ambitions and send him into political obscurity. The two have not been on good terms since the 2019 elections, and the fallout has been widening despite attempts to reconcile them. In essence, the BDP says that Balopi, who is currently a Member of Parliament, Minister of Employment, Labour Productivity and Skills Development, and a businessman, is overwhelmed by the role.
The Botswana Defence Force (BDF)-Namibians fatal shooting tragedy Inquest has revealed through autopsy report that the BDF carried over 800 bullets for the mission, 32 of which were discharged towards the targets, and 19 of which hit the targets.
This would mean that 13 bullets missed the targets-in what would be a 60 percent precision rate for the BDF operation target shooting. The Autopsy report shows that Martin Nchindo was shot with five (4) bullets, Ernst Nchindo five (5) bullets, Tommy Nchindo five (5) bullets and Sinvula Munyeme five (5) bullets. From the seven (7) BDF soldiers that left the BDF camp in two boats, four (4) fired the shots that killed the Namibians.
The former Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, Pelonomi Venson-Moitoi’s decision to apply for the positions of United Nations Special Representative of the Secretary-General (SRSG) and their deputies (DSRSG), has left the government confused over whether to lend her support or not, WeekendPost has established.
Moitoi’s application follows the Secretary-General’s launch of the third edition of the Global Call for Heads and Deputy Heads of United Nations Field Missions, which aims to expand the pool of candidates for the positions of SRSG) and their deputies to advance gender parity and geographical diversity at the most senior leadership level in the field. These mission leadership positions are graded at the Under-Secretary-General and Assistant Secretary-General levels.