President Mokgweetsi Masisi was advised by his cabinet not to travel to Namibia in the wake of COVID-19 pandemic, but the President acted against the advice.Â Â Masisi had announced at a press conference held at Mass Media in Gaborone last week that all trips have been suspended indefinitely including government official trips.
However, two days after delivering the statement Masisi together with his protocol clandestinely travelled to Namibia.Â There was no statement from Office of the President â€” which has always been a normâ€” with regard to Masisiâ€™s trip to Namibia. Sources close to this publication have revealed that prior to his travel, Masisi had engaged his cabinet together with Permanent Secretary to the President (PSP) Elias Magosi on the matter of which they advised against.
â€œHe was warned not to travel but he refused, we were all shocked to hear about this. It was a bad reflection on the President, and it has become a habit for him to say one thing and then do another,â€ revealed a source. Social media platforms went abuzz over the weekend when the news that Masisi has travelled abroad to attend the inauguration of President of Namibia, Hage Geingob broke out.
The office of the President released a statement upon his return to inform the public that the Director of Health Services in the Ministry of Health and Wellness, Dr Malaki Tshipiyagae has placed Masisi on self-isolation for a period of 14 days. The Office of the President explained the President had to undertake an emergency official trip to Namibia where he was to meet with other Heads of States to discuss critical measures taken in their respective countries sharing borders with the Republic of Botswana.
It was claimed that the President was of the view that a face to face meeting with his counterparts was necessary to discuss urgent border issues in the face of the Covid-19 pandemic. â€œThe rationale for the imposition of self-isolation is that while Namibia has registered three (3) imported cases, and is considered low risk for SARS-Cv-2 transmission at the time of His Excellency the Presidentâ€™s trip to Namibia, the low testing rates in the Region makes that determination difficult and there is a high possibility of undetermined local transmission,â€ said Andrew Sesinyi.
The Office of the President further noted that Masisi will be placed on self-isolation at his official residence but will be quarantined away from his family. However new information emerging is that the President is yet to undergo testing prior being cleared at the expiry of the 14 day period, the President is currently on his seventh day of self-isolation.
The Directorate of Intelligence Security Service (DISS) Director General (DG) Peter Magosi is also reportedly on self-isolation following his trip to countries that are highly infected by the Corona Virus (COVID-19) which has been declared a pandemic by World Health Organization (WHO). Human rights lawyer, Kgosi Ngakaagae of Ngakaagae & Mbikwa Legal Practice acknowledged the President for agreeing with the step to place him on self-isolation.
He also claimed that self-isolation on both Masisi and Magosi is a step to be applauded.Â â€œA mistake happened. The President was not supposed to have gone to Namibia, but a bold decision was taken. Self-isolation does not in any way hinder their leadership, should it have meant leadership deficiency then that would be a problem,â€ Ngakaagae told WeekendPost.Â So far at least 353 Batswana returning from South Africa via Tlokweng border were on Wednesday isolated for 14 days awaiting testing at different quarantine locations in the country.
Meanwhile, Masa Square Hotel, Oasis Motel and Manong lodge have also pledged to help government with quarantine facilities for all those placed on quarantine. Minister of Health and Wellness Dr Lemogang Kwape has come forward to urge all members of the society to continue cooperating with the government and taking into consideration prevention measures that have been put in place. Peggy Serame, Minister of Trade and Industry announced on Thursday that effect 28th March that there will be no selling of alcohol and all restaurants will only sell takeaways, with sit-downs strictly prohibited.
President Masisi also took to Facebook through his official page urging the public to prepare for an imminent lockdown.Â â€œOur experts, led by Dr Masupu with Prof Alexandra advise us to restrict the movement of people so we are better able to trace and treat any case that occurs. Take heed and follow health professionalsâ€™ advice and instructions. Wash your hands with soap and water. Do not argue and be difficult because that does not help prevent Covid 19,â€ Masisi said.
The Tshesebe-Mosojane-Masunga road estimated costs stand at P500 million, the tender which was awarded to Bash Carriers in 2017 has not taken shape four years after the project was commissioned.
Tshesebe-Mosojane-Masunga road when it was commissioned, was estimated at P500 million in value, this included construction of 22.50km of the two lane carriage way and 28.70km of access roads including associated bridge works, cross drainage works, storm water drainage works and relocation of services.
When it was first tendered the contract was awarded to Bash Couriers but was terminated after it was alleged that the contractor failed to deliver. It was said that Bash Couriers Construction Company was lagging behind schedule.
This publication visited the sites of Tshesebe-Masunga road last year December and it was evident that the project was at a standstill as deserted machinery on site could be seen with the gravel road also in a devastating state.
Information revealed then indicated that there had been issues of mining rights for aggregates, availability of structural engineers and manpower and a criteria for awarding tender to the specific company when the contract was terminated.
In 2016, as part of the ESP projects, government funded the 25 kilometres (Km) road project to link Tshesebe and Masunga.
Construction of the road, which also connects some of the villages within the district, commenced early in 2016 and was scheduled to be completed within 18 months.
The company had done nothing when their contract was terminated with allegations that it never had the capacity to carry out the project in the first place.
The major ESP project had ultimately robbed a lot of people potential employment when it succumbed to termination.
It was then that the government restarted the tendering process.
The project was awarded to Bango Trading Company and Zebra Construction in a joint venture at a value of P319 Million Pula.
However, information reaching this publication from the Ministry of Transport and Communications confirms that indeed there are no current works carried out on the Tshesebe Masunga road.
Responding to a questionnaire sent to them by this publication through their Public Relations Officer Doreen Moapare, the Ministry indicated that the Tshesebe-Masunga road project is before the courts therefore their response is limited by such a pending outcome.
“As a background the project had been awarded to Bash Carriers at a contract sum of P400, 044,365.68 to begin the works in May 2017 and complete the project in January 2019. Scopes of works included 51.2km main road inclusive of seven access roads. Due to non-performance, Bash Carriers contract was terminated on the 25th of September 2018. ”
Further, Moapare indicated that upon termination of Bash Carriers, a process began to ensure that the development project completes.
Five companies went for a selective tendering bid which she listed as; Lobkom Investments (Pty) Ltd, Landmark (Pty) Ltd and Truck Hire (Pty) Ltd Joint venture, ACE /Excavator Hire (Pty) Ltd and Asphalt Botswana (Pty) Ltd Joint venture, Cul De Sac, Bango Trading and Zebra Construction Joint venture.
“Some companies have since queried the results of the tendering adjudication landing the issue in the courts. We are currently awaiting a ruling expected in February/March 2021, and this will determine the course of action thereafter,” concluded Moapare.
At one point last year, reports indicated that Bango Trading Construction Company had faced raiding by the Directorate on Intelligence and Security, Botswana Police and Botswana Unified Revenue Services, with allegations that there was an emerging pattern targeting overscheduled construction companies with powerful political connections.
Bango Trading Managing Director, Moffat James, was reported to have had close links to former DIS Director Isaac Seabelo Kgosi. Bango Trading and Estate Construction Company which has obtained close to P 1, 5 billion government contracts under former President Lt Gen Ian Khama has been the subject of a parliamentary probe due to the many government contracts awarded to them.
The Directorate of Public Prosecutions (DPP)’s decision to reject and appeal the High Court’s verdict on a case involving High Court Judge, Dr Zein Kebonang has frustrated the Judicial Service Commission (JSC) and Judge Kebonang’s back to work discussions.
JSC and Kebonang have been in constant discussions over the latter’s return to work following a ruling by a High Court panel of judges clearing him of any wrong doing in the National Petroleum Fund criminal case filed by the DPP. However the finalization of the matter has been hanged on whether the DPP will appeal the matter or not – the prosecution body has since appealed.
Botswana Democratic Party (BDP) top brass has declined a request by Umbrella for Democratic Change (UDC) to negotiate the legal fees occasioned by 2019 general elections petition in which the latter disputed in court the outcome of the elections.
This publication is made aware that UDC Vice President Dumelang Saleshando was left with an egg on his face after the BDP big wigs, comprising of party Chairman Slumber Tsogwane and Secretary General Mpho Balopi rejected his plea.
“He was told that this is a legal matter and therefore their (UDC) lawyer should engage ours (BDP) for negotiations because it is way far from our jurisdiction,” BDP Head of Communications, Kagelelo Kentse, told this publication.
This spelt doom for the main opposition party and Saleshando who seems not to have confidence and that the UDC lawyers have the dexterity to negotiate these kind of matters. It is not clear whether Saleshando requested UDC lawyer Boingotlo Toteng to sit at the table with Bogopa Manewe, Tobedza and Co, who are representing the BDP to strike a deal as per the BDP top echelons suggested.
“From my understanding, the matter is dealt with politically as the two parties are negotiating how to resolve it, but by far nothing has come to me on the matter. So I believe they are still substantively engaging each other,” Toteng said briefly in an interview on Thursday.
UDC petitioners saddled with costs after mounting an unprecedented legal suit before the court to try and overturn BDP’s October 2019 victory. The participants in the legal matter involves 15 parliamentary candidates’ and nine councillors. The UDC petitioned the court and contested the outcome of the elections citing “irregularities in some of the constituencies”.
In a brief ruling in January 2020, Judge President Ian Kirby on behalf of a five-member panel said: “We have no jurisdiction to entertain these appeals. These appeals must be struck out each with costs including costs of counsel”. This was a second blow to the UDC in about a month after their 2019 appeals were dismissed by the High Court a day before Christmas Day.
This week BDP attorneys decided to attach UDC petitioners’ property in a bid to settle the debts. UDC President Duma Boko is among those that will see their property being attached with 14 of his party members. “We have attached some and we are on course. So far, Dr. Mpho Pheko (who contested Gaborone Central) and that of Dr, Micus Chimbombi (who contested Kgalagadi South) will have their assets being sold on the 5th of February 2021,” BDP attorney Basimane Bogopa said.
Asked whether they met with UDC lawyers to try solve the matter, Bogopa said no and added. “Remember we are trying to raise the client’s funds, so after these two others will follow. Right now we are just prioritising those from Court of Appeal, as soon as the high court is done with taxation we will attach.”
Saleshando, when contacted about the outcomes of the meeting with the BDP, told WeekendPost that: “It would not be proper and procedural for me to tell you about the meeting outcomes before I share with UDC National Executive Committee (NEC), so I will have to brief them first.”
UDC NEC will meet on the 20th of next month to deal with a number of thorny issues including settling the legal fees. Negotiations with other opposition parties- Alliance for Progressives and Botswana Patriotic Front (BPF) are also on the agenda.
Currently, UDC has raised P44 238 of the P565 000 needed to cover bills from the Court of Appeal (CoA). This is the amount in a UDC trust account which is paltry funds equating 7.8 per cent of the overall required money. In the past despite the petitioners maintaining that there was promise to assist them to settle legal fees, UDC Spokesperson, Moeti Mohwasa then said the party has never agreed in no way to help them.
“We have just been put in debt by someone,” one of the petitioners told this publication in the past. “President’s (Duma Boko) message was clear at the beginning that money has been sourced somewhere to help with the whole process but now we are here there is nothing and we are just running around trying to make ends meet and pay,” added the petitioner in an interview UDC NEC has in December last year directed all the 57 constituencies to each raise a minimum of P10, 000. The funds will be used to settle debts that are currently engulfing the petitioners with Sheriffs, who are already hovering around ready to attach their assets.
The petitioners, despite the party intervention, have every right to worry. “This is so because ‘the deadline for this initiative (P10, 000 per constituency) is the end of the first quarter of this year (2021),” a period in which the sheriffs would have long auctioned the properties.