Preparations for the 4th Edition of the Botswana Games, billed for the 4th to 13 of next month at the second city are at an advanced stage, amid doubts that Francistown has the capacity to host an event of such magnitude. The ten day showpiece will be hosted by Francistown for the first time, with the three initial editions having been staged in Gaborone.
According to the games Local Organising Committee (LOC) Chairman, Bobby Gaseitsiwe, everything is on point and they are only awaiting for the first whistle to kick-start the historic experience.
“As custodians of these games, as Botswana National Sports Commission (BNSC) we did our part as the logistics in terms of accommodation, food, transport and other responsibilities that rest on our shoulders have already been catered for,” Gaseitsiwe confirmed. For lodging, the teams will use Tonota College of Education (TCE), Shashe Senior (Tonota), Tagala Primary, I.H.S, Mater Spei and Francistown College of Vocational Education (FCTVE) just to mention but these. With the air now cleared, the doubting Thomases have been fed a humble pie as these are enough to show them the games will go on smoothly just like in Gaborone.
Like it has now become a norm that whenever any big event is hosted, personnel is needed, the volunteer movement, Sports Volunteer Movement (SVM) is also on course and ready to help at the games. ‘’We have confirmed with them and the volunteers will be going for rigorous training to prepare them for the games,” Chairman of the LOC said. On the other hand the SVM also confirmed that they are due to finalise the applicants and they will be ready for the games.
According to the SVM mouthpiece, Thabo Osekeng they will be out full force at the games to ensure that they become successful just like the 2014 Africa Youth Games (AYG) where the volunteers did an excellent job. “For the whole of this week we have been finalising the number of our applicants at the games so we can have a number of how many human resource we will need at the games. Besides, this Saturday (today) we will be having AGM and obviously we will map the way forward and strategies for the games so we don’t disappoint,” he said in an interview when asked about their readiness for the games.
The games which are expected to have over 3000 athletes competing have in the past been won by Gaborone City, with Francistown and Central districts always fighting for the second best tag. However, this time around “Spaghetto” has promised they will come out with guns blazing more so they have been doing so well in the BISA competitions.
Gaseitsiwe has also applauded the cooperation between the LOC and other stakeholders especially the districts. He said they have so far enjoyed cordial relationships with all the affected parties, including Francistown mayor, Sylvia Muzila and her council. “As for the regions they have completed their entries thus far and with regards to their preparations everything has been on point.”
The games will see 16 districts competing in 13 sporting codes, at this time it has been confirmed that Boxing will be played at Shashe, Badminton at TCE while athletics and football are expected to be hosted at the Francistown Sports Complex. The games were established in 2007 to nurture talent and they are hosted after every two years, but they couldn’t be hosted in 2013 as preparations for the 2014 AYG were on course.
The Minister of Youth Empowerment, Sport and Culture Development, Tumiso Rakgare, is eager to lead crunch talks that will consequently see Botswana National Sport Commission (BNSC) and Botswana National Olympic Committee (BNOC) becoming one authoritative sport entity.
The appointment of one Tuelo Serufho to the plum position of BNSC Chief Executive Officer two week ago has further catalysed the intention to merge the sports bodies to avoid the long standing complaints of duplication of roles by the two.
Serufho was replacing Falcom Sedimo whose contract was not renewed.Serufho, ironically is the longest serving CEO of BNOC and also a board member of BNSC.“One of our aims is to form a robust sport body to centralize and improve decision making processes and maybe the time to resuscitate BNSC/BNOC merger is now,” Rakgare briefly shared.
The impending move is highly meant to improve effective functioning, governance and performance of sports in the country both locally and globally.Should this see the light of day, Botswana would have done itself a favour and it would start sending a handful of athletes to international competitions.
The amalgamation of BNSC/BNOC talks have been in the pipelines but discussions were aborted two years ago without clear reasons. The creation of this all-encompassing sport institution is overdue according to the minister.
“It is in fact our mandate to make sure this happens, it is overdue and by next year we hope to have finalised our position paper,” Rakgare added.The creation of the looming body is borne out of lessons learnt from various sports governance models around the world.
In South Africa, the sports ministry facilitated discussions to merge National Olympic Committee of South Africa (NOCSA) and the South African Sports Commission. Their authoritative sports body is now called South African Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee (SASCOC).
With the South African model well in place, Botswana is urged to bench mark and create a sport body as a civic society-based organisation as required by the statutes of international sports bodies.The name of the local sport body is mooted and the minister refused to give a hint. But he is optimistic that the body will be the vanguard organization of sport in the country.
He emphasized that the sports organisation should be a purposeful guardian for governance and management of sports and be the required defining figure of the role of sports in Botswana’s communities.Talks to revamp and rebuild these sports bodies come at a time when BNSC is restructuring.
When Sedimo was still at the helm, he wanted to phase out some positions which he felt were unnecessary.BNSC receive close to 53 million Pula as grants from the government through the Ministry of Youth, Sports development and Culture empowerment while BNOC takes a figure a closer to that.
Township Rollers is anticipated to spent around P 50 000 to expatriate their foreign based players amid ravaging corona virus threats. The club, in collaboration with the Football Union of Botswana (FUB) tested Francis Afriyie, Fabian Assagou Guy and Kamogelo Matsabu before they can head to their native countries.
The trio are awaiting the results which are all expected to come out negative, following which they will immediately board planes to their various destinations. Afriyie was a Rollers striker from Ghana.
Matsabu, regarded the darling of the club is heading back to South Africa while Guy signed by the club but has never impressed, will board a plane back to Ivory Coast.It is likely that both Matsabu and Guy will return as they are still contracted to Rollers. However, Afriyie will not return after failing Rollers litmus test.
The striker failed to break into the starting 11 of head coach Frank Nuttall for the season and it appeared that frustration got to him. And when it finally knocked him down, the striker in a rough and unexpected remonstration stormed out of the bench while a Rollers game was on.
The former Gho Maria striker penned a two year deal in January and it is rumoured that his contract was heavily incentivized, catapulting him to being one of the highest paid players at Rollers.His end of season departure will now put a serious question mark over Rollers’ recruitment policy.
He becomes the fourth foreign striker to fail the club examinations and released while on contract. Before him was, Mthokosize Msomi from South Africa, Terrence Mandawa from Tanzania and Fabian Mbowa from Ivory Coast. Msomi and Mandawa’s release were sanctioned by former coach Nikola Kavazovic. Mbowa is loaned to Police XI to create space and playing opportunity for the now departing Afriyie.
Releasing Afriyie will now mean that the club’s striking woes continue. Rollers management complained at times last season at the lack of productivity from their strikers but they hoped that striker Tumisang Orebonye and other targeted signings, aided perhaps by Edwin Moalosi who remains on the books, could fire an upturn.
However, it was never meant to be as they finished the season second behind league winners, Jwaneng Galaxy.
Black Leopards head coach, Joel Masutha, is reported to have orchestrated a move that could see mid fielder-cum-striker, Mogakolodi Tsotso Ngele, being dropped by Leopards.
WeekendSport has learnt that the coach summoned the Zebras former captain to a one-on-one meeting a month ago to relay the bad news. It is reported that Masutha told the player that he is surplus to requirement and therefore he will not be selected for any game unless he opts to leave.
Reports further state that Tsotso was not encouraged to fight for his position but instead was told that there are better players to be tasked with scoring responsibilities and helping the club to dodge the dreaded relegation axe.Ngele therefore is waiting for his contract to expire before plotting his next move. He is said to be torn between playing for one more year in South Africa and coming to Botswana to play for high paying Township Rollers.
The Rollers decision will once again hinge on his private business which he would love to monitor closely. He owns a sports clothing label where he already signed a two year deal with Notwane FC.Ngele’s career at Leopards blew hot and cold. He only enjoyed his stay when his former coach Calvin Johnson was at the helm.
He played in crucial matches and his stunning free kick against log leaders Kaizer Chiefs is still remembered by his followers.However, there have been many other factors at play.It is said Ngele’s future at Thohoyandou- a location where Black Leopards is based- encountered problems of many kinds. His future is believed to have been dulled by injuries and a confidence that strangely refused to bloom.
The player is also said to have broken ranks with Leopards management where he shocked them when playing for the senior national team last year albeit claiming to be suffering from a thigh injury. Ngele had signed a two year deal, but as things stand, the left footed midfielder is heading out as his contract staggers to an end. He is believed to be earning close to R80 000 after tax deductions.
The lifestyle and living conditions at Thohoyandou are also seen as factors that further complicate Ngele’s situation hence the sudden collapse of concentration in football.Ngele is said to be represented by Tim Sukazi who still hopes that the player’s breakthrough career is worth fighting for.
When signed by high spending Mamelodi Sundowns almost 5 years ago, he was represented by Mike Makaab, also a renowned football agent in South Africa.It is growing precarious for Ngele who was chained for longer spells at Sundowns.
But when a move to Leopards was announced, there was a high expectation that the player was nearing his revolutionary season.