BDF XI Kabelo Seakanyeng(on white and green) set to join Gaborone United
Gaborone United Sporting Club’s financiers will leave no stone unturned in this transfer window in their quest to uplift the face of the team and preparations for total conquest next season.
Thus far The Reds as the team is prevalently known, is the busiest team in this transfer window with some interesting signings already concluded by the team, while others singings maybe concluded soon.
According to sources close to the club, the grand plan is to build a formidable side that will in the upcoming season give its rivals like Township Rollers and Mochudi Center Chiefs a stern competition in bid to win every cup on offer.
The team leadership helmed by Rapula Okailwe wants the moniker name of The Money Machine to be relevant and to bring back the league glory days. United, won the inaugural beMobile
Premeir League in 2009, and ever since then the rophy has eluded the club. “Since we didn’t start well this season we are aiming for a respectable position by the end of the season and we will give stiff competition next season. Besides that we don’t want to participate in Confederations Cup but to Compete,” Okailwe told Weekendsport.
The Old Naledi side has made its intentions clear by overhauling the technical team a few weeks ago. Players have been assured that the new coach will arrive by Monday.
While the team senior officials are still cagey with the details as to who will head the technical team, information reaching Weekendsport shows a portrait of divisions within the team officials. It appears that some are of the view that George Mogopodi is a better man to lead the team while others believe the much touted European coach Martin Ignatius should take the reigns.
The coach is expected to bring along his assistant coach who will also double as a physical trainer. “We are looking for a coach who will help us to redeem ourselves,” the Chairman could only say, avoiding to dwell much on who will be appointed.
Sacked goalkeeper coach Thabo “Mahala” Motang is also expected to bounce back as senior officials are said to be his greatest admirers.
To show that indeed they walk the talk, in addition to the new technical staff, more players are expected to join the Money machine camp. The Serowe born duo Moathodi “Skhebo” Ralesota and Kabelo “Skhebo” Seakanyeng have finalised their deals and will don the reds and whites regalia of the team.
Sankoyo Bush Bucks winger Jackson “Jackie” Lesole is also set to finalise terms with the club as he is currently in Gaborone negotiating the deal, another signing expected is of Motlakase Power Dynamos duo of Botshelo “life” Lorato and Thato “Abidal” Kebue. However, with the latter having agreed personal terms with the team it appears the move has more stumbling blocks and might not happen.
With the uncertainty of acquiring Kebue, the team has set its eyes at Jwaneng Galaxy for its starlet Gofaone Marumo and Miscellaneous defender Keolopile Molemi to fill the void left by Thabiso Khunwane who is linked with BDF XI. Okailwe said the main reason for these signings is “to encourage competition as players seem to be complacent as a result they want more than a player in each position.
The team reportedly paid P20 000 for Ralesota and they might also pay the same fee for Sankoyo’s Lesole. Kebue could also cost the team as there are those who believe the promising players cannot go without a cost. However despite releasing five players, it appears some might leave including Kgololo Kgogobi who is linked with Extension Gunners.
GU TO PULL A COUP IN JULY
The Nicholas Zarkhem financed side is expected to make big names signings in July. Some of the players expected is the on loan Rollers duo of Tapiwa “Navara” Gadibolae, and Lebogang “Tallie” Ditsile whose contracts elapse by the end of this season. Another acquisition anticipated to happen is that of Center Chiefs winger, Lemponye “FC” Tshireletso. By then the team is expected to be on the right shape and ready to prevail. The team will let any of their remaining players to leave, Rollers showed interest in the goalkeeper Goitseone “Chichima” Phoko as their number one goalkeeper Kabelo Dambe might leave for Slovakia in July.
Amid the confusion surrounding the date of the Botswana Football Association (BFA) elections, the Minister of Youth Empowerment, Sport and Culture Development, Tumiso Rakgare, met with three presidential candidates on Thursday morning to discuss a plethora of problems bedevilling the domestic game.
The candidates are Maclean Letshwiti, the current President, Tebogo Sebego, the firm challenger of the BFA throne, together with Ookeditse Malesu who enters the race for the first time in his sporting career. There were other two unnamed officials who are said to be representatives from the sport ministry.
The Sport minister is said to have adopted a hard-nosed approach to register his disappointment and worry that the uncertainty of the upcoming elections have injured the administration of the local game.
Highly placed sources at the Sport ministry say that the minister’s ‘no gloves barred’ approach comes at the behest of the BFA’s constant negative headlines regarding their leadership style as of going into the elections.
It is said that Rakgare was also worried that the current administration is keeping the other two camps in the dark regarding the planning and processes bordering on election issues. This, he said has led to unnecessary speculations and back biting that is not needed to lift the game at a time when it is on its knees.
He was to rattle a few feathers at one incident when he called all the three leaders of the game to put their houses in order. As if that was not enough, the minister called on the three lobby groups to desist from serving personal interests but put focus on developing the game.
Interestingly, sources point out that the minister was livid but urged both Letshwiti and Sebego groups to refrain from tarnishing the good image of the ministry. This, he said in response to wide ranging allegations that he is taking sides as campaigns are ongoing.
The Sebego group accuses him of de campaigning Sebego and having a soft spot for Team Letshwiti while the same Letshwiti group is saying the same thing about the minister as having taking curious interest in Sebego camp.
The minister is alleged to have told the leaders that if they do not change their leadership style of protecting those looting public funds, his ministry would intervene even if it means attracting the wrath of FIFA, which is known for its notorious sanctions when countries do not toe the line. He urges BFA to be accountable at all the times they will cut the annual subventions that goes to them, sources claim.
This is not for the first time that the BFA was lectured on good governance. At one incident in 2015, former Minster of Sport Thapelo Olopeng dressed down the then Tebogo Sebego leadership regarding good governance.
BFA was at the time closely monitored by the ministry. Instead of the usual transactions that normally go through BFA, national team players received their allowances straight from government in the form of cheques. To demonstrate that government has taken a firm stand against BFA, players’ allowances were no longer routed through the association.
Nobody from the said meeting will address this publication enquiry all indicating that the consultation is never meant for public consumption.
If everything goes according to plan, the Botswana Football Association (BFA) will hold its annual general assembly next month through a virtual conference.
There has been much uncertainty as to how and when the congress will be held seeing as how COVID-19 protocols remain stringent on gatherings.
Sources speaking with this publication say the National Executive Committee (NEC) of the association has agreed to hold the congress within COVID-19 zones, consequently dispelling all the lingering doubts surrounding the life and soul of the assembly.
As it stands, there are nine COVID -19 zones in Botswana. The association is therefore contemplating to rely within four zones where live streaming will take centre stage for the first time in the history of BFA elections.
The congress was first billed for August 8th but was postponed to August 22nd. However, the second date could not see the light of the day as the country recorded a second rise of coronavirus cases that promptly led to greater Gaborone going into yet another lockdown.
The association has been procrastinating over the virtual congress idea with the election agenda remaining a sticky issue. Many advices came flooding that the association is free to make any decision about the congress but should be very careful not to compromise the integrity of the vote.
Sources indicate to this paper that the association is likely to rely on four COVID-19 zones, namely Gaborone, Francistown, Jwaneng and Palapye. The need to plant the meeting on virtual technologies hinges on the fact that the COVID -19 health protocols do not permit people to cross zones to hold meetings.
Information gleaned from various sources is that the association is looking to rely on four zones primarily because of the limited number of personnel under the electoral board. There are five members consisting of this committee and by the look of things; the association will not be allowed to outsource more election overseers at the eleventh hour. Sources argue that the whole cautious exercise is meant to avoid complaints that may arise after elections are held.
The virtual meeting comes after many failed attempts by the association to convince the Kereng Masupu led Task Force to give out a special dispensation. On many occasions, the Task Force refused to allow for the assembly to go on saying “football is not a priority.”
The assembly is expected to be held next month but the exact date still remains a subject of speculation. In the end, Tebogo Sebego will stand again for the second time to unseat Maclean Letshwiti while Ookeditse Malesu is standing for the first time to try and wrestle for BFA power.
The Minister of Youth Empowerment, Sport and Culture Development, Tumiso Rakgare, is eager to lead crunch talks that will consequently see Botswana National Sport Commission (BNSC) and Botswana National Olympic Committee (BNOC) becoming one authoritative sport entity.
The appointment of one Tuelo Serufho to the plum position of BNSC Chief Executive Officer two week ago has further catalysed the intention to merge the sports bodies to avoid the long standing complaints of duplication of roles by the two.
Serufho was replacing Falcom Sedimo whose contract was not renewed.Serufho, ironically is the longest serving CEO of BNOC and also a board member of BNSC.“One of our aims is to form a robust sport body to centralize and improve decision making processes and maybe the time to resuscitate BNSC/BNOC merger is now,” Rakgare briefly shared.
The impending move is highly meant to improve effective functioning, governance and performance of sports in the country both locally and globally.Should this see the light of day, Botswana would have done itself a favour and it would start sending a handful of athletes to international competitions.
The amalgamation of BNSC/BNOC talks have been in the pipelines but discussions were aborted two years ago without clear reasons. The creation of this all-encompassing sport institution is overdue according to the minister.
“It is in fact our mandate to make sure this happens, it is overdue and by next year we hope to have finalised our position paper,” Rakgare added.The creation of the looming body is borne out of lessons learnt from various sports governance models around the world.
In South Africa, the sports ministry facilitated discussions to merge National Olympic Committee of South Africa (NOCSA) and the South African Sports Commission. Their authoritative sports body is now called South African Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee (SASCOC).
With the South African model well in place, Botswana is urged to bench mark and create a sport body as a civic society-based organisation as required by the statutes of international sports bodies.The name of the local sport body is mooted and the minister refused to give a hint. But he is optimistic that the body will be the vanguard organization of sport in the country.
He emphasized that the sports organisation should be a purposeful guardian for governance and management of sports and be the required defining figure of the role of sports in Botswana’s communities.Talks to revamp and rebuild these sports bodies come at a time when BNSC is restructuring.
When Sedimo was still at the helm, he wanted to phase out some positions which he felt were unnecessary.BNSC receive close to 53 million Pula as grants from the government through the Ministry of Youth, Sports development and Culture empowerment while BNOC takes a figure a closer to that.