Connect with us
Advertisement

Batswana exported to Kuwait for sex work

REPRESENTING THE ACCUSED: Dutch Leburu

In Zimbabwe seven suspects accused of trafficking women from Zimbabwe to Kuwait for slavery purposes, under the guise of securing employment for them as maids in the Arab country, were recently granted $300 bail each pending trial by a Harare magistrate.

Botswana has not escaped the human trafficking exploits of greedy masterminds.  The Police in Botswana continue to make arrests of individuals involved in human trafficking.

This publication has learnt the Zimbabwe Kuwait trafficking ring has ties in Botswana and South Africa.

Investigations have revealed that upon arrival in Kuwait, the victims were placed under “house arrest” and were not paid salaries but the money was wired to the traffickers in Zimbabwe as payment. The main agent based in Zimbabwe will eventually pay his contacts in Botswana and South Africa.  

Their Arabian accomplices would at times demand ransom from the victim’s families in order for them to release the women, mainly young ladies. The agents reportedly lied to the victims that they would be afforded an opportunity to further their education by their new “employers” in the oil-rich country.

In Zimbabwe the gang is charged with contravening sections of the Trafficking Persons Act (Recruits, transfers, harbours or receives another person that he or she knows or suspects is being or is likely to be trafficked or attempts, assists or conspires with others for the commission of the crime of trafficking). In Botswana investigations are yet to reveal or expose the real agents who worked with the Zimbabwean gang. But isolated cases of human trafficking continue to be recorded by the police.

Botswana police have in the past intercepted human trafficking deals. Recently a mini bus transporting young girls to suspected trafficking hotspots was nabbed in Francistown.

Police fear that young ladies are at risk because they are promised high paying jobs in these Arabic countries only to be forced into sex slavery and domestic work under harsh conditions.

TWO SOUTH AFRICANS ACCUSED OF HUMAN TRAFFICKING

Meanwhile two South Africans slapped with charges of human trafficking appeared before Village magistrate Mompati Taolo this week Wednesday seeking bail.  An attorney representing one of the accused demanded that the charges against his client be dropped because the state has no case against her.  

Attorney Friday Dutch Leburu representing second accused, Sowetan Antoinette Nthoba, told the court that the female accused never had the intention to come into Botswana territory and had been lured and entrapped by the Botswana police.

Leburu said that Nthoba was initially sent to the South African Kopfontein/Tlokweng border post to collect two mature Ethiopian individuals, who on their own initiative had boarded an Ethiopian Airways flight to Botswana en route to South Africa as their final destination.

He continued that when Nthoba arrived at the border at nightfall she received a call from an individual in Botswana who turned out to be an undercover Investigating Officer (IO) in the sting operation. Leburu then said the Investigating Officer agreed with Nthoba to find accommodation for the Ethiopian pair and Nthoba agreed to repay the P800 accommodation fee the next morning.

He says that the next morning the IO again contacted Nthoba who did not know that she was being duped by Botswana Police into setting foot on Botswana territory. Leburu continued to say that when Nthoba finally met with the IO she paid him 1500 in South African Rands instead of the initially agreed P800 for accommodating the Ethiopians because she did not have cash in the Pula currency.

Leburu says that to endorse his argument that the charges against Nthoba must fall, Nthoba had not even met or spoken to the Ethiopian individuals she had come to collect.

The Attorney observed that charges against Nthoba do not stick as they do not meet the three elements constituting human trafficking.

He said that the Police charge sheet does not state whether Nthoba recruited, transported nor harboured the allegedly trafficked Ethiopians.

He also further said the sub-elements of the use of threats; abuse of power and abuse of vulnerability combined with the element of purpose which encompasses elements of general exploitation, sexual exploitation, forced labour and slavery are not in any way tied to Nthoba.

Leburu also said that since Nthoba never had the intention to come into Botswana she should be given free bail as she has children and a family in South Africa and that she has already suffered pre-trial prejudice as she has spent close to two weeks in prison.

Leburu also bordered on accusing the Directorate on Public Prosecutions (DPP) of trying to salvage public confidence and using the accused South Africans as ‘fall guys’ in trialing a rare case of human trafficking insinuating that, “it has been lousy at DPP in the past few months.”

The first accused 49 year old Hanamantsi Lekena who was representing himself requested bail and he promised not to avoid court as Botswana and South Africa have an existing extradition treaty.

Lekena denounced any connection to human trafficking saying he was arrested at a bar talking on his mobile phone. Lekena also narrated his extenuating circumstances before the court saying he supports his family including seven nephews and nieces who will suffer if his incarceration continues and that his father and mother passed on in 1979 and 2014 respectively.

(Additional information from NewsDay)

Continue Reading

News

Khan: Boko, Masisi are fake politicians

18th January 2021
Masisi & Boko

While there is no hard-and-fast rule in politics, former Molepolole North Member of Parliament, Mohamed Khan says populism acts in the body politic have forced him to quit active partisan politics. He brands this ancient ascription of politics as fake and says it lowers the moral compass of the society.

Khan who finally tasted political victory in the 2014 elections after numerous failed attempts, has decided to leave the ‘dirty game’, and on his way out he characteristically lashed at the current political leaders; including his own party president, Advocate Duma Boko. “I arrived at this decision because I have noticed that there are no genuine politics and politicians. The current leaders, Boko and President Dr Mokgweetsi Masisi are fake politicians who are just practicing populist politics to feed their egos,” he said.

This content is locked

Login To Unlock The Content!

Continue Reading

News

Ookeditse rejects lobby for BPF top post

18th January 2021
LAWRENCE-OOKEDITSE

Former Botswana Democratic Party (BDP) parliamentary hopeful, Lawrence Ookeditse has rejected the idea of taking up a crucial role in the Botswana Patriotic Front (BPF) Central Committee following his arrival in the party this week. According to sources close to development, BPF power brokers are coaxing Ookeditse to take up the secretary general position, left vacant by death of Roseline Panzirah-Matshome in November 2020.

Ookeditse’s arrival at BPF is projected to cause conflicts, as some believe they are being overlooked, in favour of a new arrival. The former ruling party strategist has however ruled out the possibility of serving in the party central committee as secretary general, and committed that he will turn down the overture if availed to him by party leadership.

Ookeditse, nevertheless, has indicated that if offered another opportunity to serve in a different capacity, he will gladly accept. “I still need to learn the party, how it functions and all its structures; I must be guided, but given any responsibility I will serve the party as long as it is not the SG position.”

“I joined the BPF with a clear conscious, to further advance my voice and the interests of the constituents of Nata/Gweta which I believe the BDP is no longer capable to execute.” Ookeditse speaks of abject poverty in his constituency and prevalent unemployment among the youth, issues he hopes his new home will prioritise.

He dismissed further allegations that he resigned from the BDP because he was not rewarded for his efforts towards the 2019 general elections. After losing in the BDP primaries in 2018, Ookeditse said, he was offered a job in government but declined to take the post due to his political ambitions. Ookeditse stated that he rejected the offer because, working for government clashed with his political journey.

He insists there are many activists who are more deserving than him; he could have chosen to take up the opportunity that was before him but his conscious for the entire populace’s wellbeing held him back. Ookeditse said there many people in the party who also contributed towards party success, asserting that he only left the BDP because he was concerned about the greater good of the majority not individualism purposes.

According to observers, Ookeditse has been enticed by the prospects of contesting Nata/Gweta constituency in the 2024 general election, following the party’s impressive performance in the last general elections. Nata/Gweta which is a traditional BDP stronghold saw its numbers shrinking to a margin of 1568. BDP represented by Polson Majaga garnered 4754, while BPF which had fielded Joe Linga received 3186 with UDC coming a distant with 1442 votes.

There are reports that Linga will pave way for Ookeditse to contest the constituency in 2024 and the latter is upbeat about the prospects of being elected to parliament. Despite Ookeditse dismissing reports that he is eying the secretary general position, insiders argue that the position will be availed to him nevertheless.

Alternative favourite for the position is Vuyo Notha who is the party Deputy Secretary General. Notha has since assumed duties of the secretariat office on the interim basis. BPF politburo is expected to meet on 25th of January 2020, where the vacancy will be filled.

Continue Reading

News

BDP cancels MPs retreat

18th January 2021
President Masisi

Botswana Democratic Party (BDP) big wigs have decided to cancel a retreat with the party legislators this weekend owing to increasing numbers of Covid-19 cases. The meeting was billed for this weekend at a place that was to be confirmed, however a communique from the party this past Tuesday reversed the highly anticipated meeting.

“We received a communication this week that the meeting will not go as planned because of rapid spread of Covid-19,” one member of the party Central Committee confirmed to this publication.
The gathering was to follow the first of its kind held late last year at party Treasurer Satar Dada’s place.

This content is locked

Login To Unlock The Content!

Continue Reading
Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!