Connect with us
Advertisement

Gunners pursue faceless investor in Jo’burg

Lobatse based premiership outfit, Extension Gunners are reportedly in a bid to motivate their faceless investor to sign a deal after months of speculation over the marriage.

Gunners’ diehards have recently mounted pressure on Phenyo Gothaang’s led committee demanding answers as to what could be delaying the alleged agreement between the two.

A hard pressed Gothaang is said to have travelled to Johannesburg, South Africa to meet with the Swazi millionaire. The two parties have been engaging with their legal minds to fill any loopholes that could emanate from the agreement.

The chairman’s trip coincides with the issue of unpaid players’ salaries and it is said to be one of the factors that influenced the chairman quick act.

The ever stubborn but often influential Gunners’ supporters are putting demands on the committee hence the chairman is meeting with the ‘investor’ in an effort to get him to bail out the team.

Sources say the expectation was that by April all the issues between the two would have been concluded allowing for the flow in of finances but it did not happen; hence the team’s failure to pay the players.

When this publication contacted the team’s media liaison, Edwin Mabapa this week, he played the cards close to his chest.

“That’s true our chairman is in South Africa, but I don’t want to confidently say he is meeting with the investor, maybe he is on his professional business. This trip nonetheless can have many interpretations so I can’t really certainly specify the elements of this trip,” he said.  

He further admitted that they are yet to pay the players’ salaries for last month and they are working around the clock to gets funds to pay them.

There have been alleged reports of backstabbing by some of the ousted committee members who are hell-bent on delaying the smooth transition of the team.

However Mabapa has rubbished those reports saying they are just street talk. “As of now we are only waiting to agree on the transactions because all the groundwork activities have been carried out,” a typical pantsola, Mabapa said.

The preliminary agreement was that the investor will take 80% with the society taking the remaining 20%.

Gothaang was expected to arrive in Botswana on Friday to deal with the issue of unpaid players’ salaries. At the time of going to press sources could not share whether the meeting was successful or not.  

This publication was however made to understand that the chairman had gone there with two items up his list; to facilitate the deal and to ask for a bailout for the players’ salaries.

Under the leadership of Gothaang, Guna-guna has been enjoying a new lease of life with the players’ welfare wonderfully taken care off until recently.

The prospects of the investor prompted excitement within the Gunners family and there were attempts to lure some exciting players to the camp. Segolame Boy, Tendai Nyumasi and Lesego Galenamotlhale were all in the team’s radar; however all these is on ice pending the signature of the deal.

Continue Reading

Sport

Mason Greenwood attempted rape charges dropped

2nd February 2023

Charges of attempted rape and assault have been dropped against Manchester United footballer Mason Greenwood who was arrested in January 2022 after the allegations emerged.

The 21-year-old was arrested in January last year amid allegations surrounding images and videos that emerged online.

He was later charged with attempted rape, controlling and coercive behaviour and assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

The Crown Prosecution Service said the charges were discontinued after a key witness withdrew their involvement.

Continue Reading

Sport

Raphael Varane announces retirement from international football after 10 years of service.

2nd February 2023

The Manchester United defender will now focus on his club career having made 93 caps for France, appearing at three world cups and on European championship. The Les Bleus won the World cup in 2018 and Raphael Varane started all but one of France’s matches in Qatar as they finished as runners up to Argentina

Continue Reading

Sport

Finally, sponsors jerk BFA

30th January 2023

With many being of the view that the state of football in Botswana has deteriorated significantly as it is no longer appealing to the business community, this was a good week for the football community. The Botswana Football Association (BFA) leadership under the stewardship of MacLean Letshwiti secured sponsorship for a combined value of P19. 3 million for the FA Cup competition and the First Division league – both South and North.

This content is locked

Login To Unlock The Content!

Continue Reading