Norilsk Nickel Group is suing Botswana’s government in efforts to recover close to P3 billion after a deal gone sour. The Russian miner, in a loaded statement released on Friday, says the lawsuit is the last resort after it failed to find an amicable solution, laying blame on the lack of commitment from the government of Botswana.
“MMC Norilsk Nickel Group (hereinafter “Norilsk Nickel”) has served notice that it intends to commence legal proceedings in Botswana against the Government of Botswana in respect of its involvement in the reckless trading of BCL Limited and BCL Investments Proprietary Limited (together “BCL”), with a view of recovering the USD 271 million plus damages and other costs that are owed to Norilsk Nickel in relation to the sale of a 50% interest in the Nkomati mine in South Africa (“the Nkomati deal”) and the USD 6.4 million that are owed to Norilsk Nickel in relation to the sale of the Tati mine in Botswana,” the company said in a press release statement.
Norilsk says it is suing the Botswana’s government since it is the ultimate shareholder of BCL through its corporate vehicle MDCB, adding also that the notice to sue was served under section 4 of the State Proceedings (Civil Actions by or against Government or Public Officers) Act and was served on the Attorney General of Botswana, the Minister of Mineral Resources, Green Technology and Energy Security, and the Minister of Finance.
This is the second attempt by the Russian miner to sue the government for breach of contract. The first law suit was filed last December but later withdrawn after negotiations with the government, with Norilsk agreeing to become the creditor on the ongoing liquidation of BCL group. In the centre of the lawsuit is a deal gone wrong that began when Norilsk agreed in October 2014 to sell their operations in Africa to BCL for a total price of $337 million (P3.5 billion), though that amount was later reduced when Norilsk agreed to price concessions requested by BCL and the Government. The concessions by Norilsk were in light of falling commodity prices.
The Russian miner’s main line of arguments are that the Nkomati deal, which was announced by BCL as a strategic priority as part of its high-profile “Polaris II” diversification and investment strategy, was designed to guarantee the long-term future of BCL’s operations by securing the supply of concentrate to its smelter in Selebi Phikwe, Botswana. This line of argument by Norilsk is intended to highlight the overarching role of the government of Botswana in the deal.
“The Government was involved in or approved all material decisions relating to this transaction. It is well known that BCL had always historically relied on financial support from the Government to survive and, in view of BCL’s financial position, it was clear that most if not all of the funding for the Nkomati deal would have to come from or be guaranteed by the Government,” the company explained in the press statement.
The trouble began to emerge when the government started developing cold feet. According to the press statement, BCL became obliged to buy Nkomati on 13 September 2016. However, BCL and the government have made no attempts to complete the deal, in clear breach of the agreement with Norilsk.
In a shock twist, Norilsk says in October 2016, it learned through the media that BCL had been placed into provisional liquidation by the government in an apparent attempt to avoid its obligations to Norilsk. At that point, the Russian miner says it has tried on numerous occasions, and through numerous channels, to reach a satisfactory and amicable resolution, but none has been forthcoming.
“Norilsk has therefore been left with little option but to pursue a resolution through legal channels. In its claim against the Government, Norilsk asserts that the business of BCL has been carried on recklessly and that the Government was party to that recklessness through the actions of individual Government Ministers, MDCB and the Government-appointed directors on BCL’s board,” read part of the statement.
The statement goes on to explain how the Botswana government cannot just simply walk away from the deal since it was the government that was instrumental and gave surety that it will come to the BCL rescue should BCL find itself in a financial mess. “In addition to the Government taking and being involved in material decisions in relation to the management of BCL, it was also aware of BCL’s financial situation throughout, and knew or ought to have known that there was no reasonable prospect of it being able to pay the amounts due to Norilsk without support from the Government.
Norilsk was also provided with assurances throughout the negotiations for the deal that the Government was fully supportive of the Nkomati transaction, and that BCL would perform its obligations in full. Yet, when the time for completion of the deal came, it became apparent that the Government had had no intention of supporting BCL and had in fact taken steps which meant that BCL would not be able to perform its obligations.”
In its claim, Norilsk will ask for a court order making the government responsible for paying all of the liabilities due from BCL under its agreement with Norilsk and the costs of the intended court proceedings. “The Government has displayed a complete disregard for the fair, frank and reasonable dealing with outsiders which BCL’s insolvent circumstances demanded. It has failed to honour the obligations under the sale agreement concluded with Norilsk in October 2014,” said Michael Marriott, Norilsk Nickel Africa CEO.
“Throughout the process Norilsk has acted in good faith, and given the Government and BCL repeated opportunities and offers of assistance to complete the transaction, including concessions to significantly reduce the sale price,” he added. The lawsuit is expected to bring the spotlight on Botswana’s government which has been for many years known for its respect for the rule of law. Just recently, the country was ranked highly as the most attractive investment destination in Africa in an Africa Investment Index 2016 by Quantum Global’s independent research arm, Quantum Global Research Lab
“Botswana has a reputation as one of the safest and best places to invest in the whole of Africa and it has earned the strongest credit rating on the continent on that basis. The way that the Government of Botswana has acted over BCL brings the validity of that reputation into question. The negative ramifications could be felt across the economy of the whole country,” the CEO of Norilsk Africa said in a thinly veiled threat. The press statement concluded with a threat to block any sale of BCL assets to any interested investor if the Botswana government fails to recognise the rights of Norilsk and what is due to them.
“On a related issue, it would appear that the Government of Botswana is in negotiations with potential investors about a possible sale of BCL. Norilsk reiterates its rights in relation to the Nkomati and Tati transactions and will continue to seek the repayment of the outstanding debts by all legal means. In this regard, Norilsk expects its rights to be recognised by the Government in its negotiations and in any agreement ultimately reached in relation to BCL, failing which Norilsk reserves its rights, including to challenge any such agreement.”
Minister of Health Dr Edwin Dikoloti says Africa member states call on World Health Organization (WHO) to ensure equitable resource allocation for 2024-2025. Dr Dikoloti was speaking this week at the WHO Executive Board Meeting in Geneva, Switzerland.
He said countries agreed that there is need to address the budget and funding imbalances by increasing the programme budget share of countries and regions to 75% for the next year.
‚ÄúThe proposed budget for 2024-2025 marks an important milestone as it is the first in Programme Budget in which country offices will be allocated more than half of the total budget for the biennium. We highly welcome this approach which will enable the organization to deliver on its mandate while fulfilling the expectations for transparency, efficiency and accountability.‚ÄĚ
The Botswana Health Minister commended member states on the extension of the General Programme of Work (GPD 13) and the Secretariat work to monitor the progress towards the triple billion targets, and the health-related SDGs.
‚ÄúWe welcome the Director‚Äôs general proposed five priorities which have crystalized into the ‚Äúfive Ps‚ÄĚ that are aligned with the GPW 13 extension. Impact can only be achieved through close coordination with, and support to national health authorities. As such, the strengthening of country offices is instrumental, with particular focus on strengthening national health systems and on promoting more equitable access to health services.‚ÄĚ
According to Dr Dikoloti, the majority of countries with UHC index that is below the global median are in the WHO Africa region. ‚ÄúFor that, we call on the WHO to enhance capacity at the regional and national levels in order to accelerate progress. Currently, the regional office needs both technical and financial support in order to effectively address and support country needs.‚ÄĚ
The Minister of Foreign Affairs, Dr. Lemogang Kwape says Botswana has not taken any position regarding the killing of a renowned human rights lawyer, Thulani Maseko, who was gunned down at his house in Mbabane, Eswatini.
In a brief interview with WeekendPost, Dr Kwape said Botswana has not yet taken any position regarding his death. He said the purported incident should be thoroughly probed before Botswana can form an opinion based on the findings of the inquiries.
‚ÄúBotswana generally condemns any killing of human life by all means,‚ÄĚ says Dr. Kwape. He wouldn‚Äôt want to be dragged on whether Botswana will support the suspension of Eswatini from SADC.
‚ÄúWe will be guided by SADC organ Troika if they can be an emergency meeting. I am not sure when the meeting will be called by Namibian president,‚Äú he said.
However, the Namibian president Hage Geingob notes with deep concern reports coming out of Eswatini about the killing of Mr. Maseko. In a statement, he called upon the ‚ÄúGovernment of the Kingdom of Eswatini to ensure that the killing of Maseko is swiftly, transparently and comprehensively investigated, and that any or all persons suspected of committing this heinous crime are brought to justice.‚ÄĚ
Maseko was chairperson of the Multi-Stakeholder Forum which was established as a coalition of non-State actors to advocate for a process of national political dialogue aimed at resolving the security and political challenges confronting the Kingdom.
‚ÄúSADC expresses its deepest and heartfelt condolences to the family of Mr. Maseko, his friends, colleagues, and to the people of the Kingdom of Eswatini for the loss of Mr. Maseko. In this context, SADC further calls upon the people of the Kingdom of Eswatini to remain calm, exercise due care and consideration whilst the appropriate structures conduct the investigations and bring the matter to completion,‚ÄĚ the statement says.
Geingob reiterated the need for peaceful resolution of the political and security challenges affecting the country.
Meanwhile political activists are calling on SADC to suspend Eswatini from the block including the African Union as well.
State prosecutor, Seeletso Ookeditse revealed before the Broadhurst Magistrate Jobbie Moilatshimo that the third accused involved in the murder of Barulaganye Aston, has interfered with the State witnesses again.
The second and third accused (Lefty Kosie and Outlwile Aston) were previously accused of interference when they were caught in possession of cellphones in prison. They were further accused of planning to kill the deceased‚Äôs brother, who is currently the guardian to the children of the deceased.
Ookeditse indicated that Outlwile had earlier went to challenge the magistrate‚Äôs decision of denying him bail at the High Court before Judge Michael Motlhabi.
‚ÄúThe third accused approached the High Court and made a bail application, which was dismissed on the same day,‚ÄĚ Ookeditse said.
However, even after the High Court verdict on their bail application, the duo (Kosie and Aston) has once again applied for bail this week.
Ookeditse plead with the court to stop the accused from abusing the court process.
‚ÄúYesterday, Directorate of Public Prosecutions (DPP) received papers of his bail application filed before the Broadhurst Magistrates Court. However, the papers do not speak to changed circumstances, therefore this back and forth about bail must be put to a stop,‚ÄĚ said the State prosecutor.
While giving evidence before court, the Investigations Officer, Detective Inspector Quite Zhalamonto, said his investigations have proved that there is interference continuing regarding the accused trio.
He told the court that on the 12th¬†of January 2023, he received a report from Thato Aston, who is the son of the accused and the deceased. The son had alleged to the Investigation Officer that he received a call from one Phillip Molwantwa.
According to Zhalamonto, Thato revealed that Molwatwa indicated that he was from prison on a visit to the Outlwile Aston and went on to ask where he was staying and where his siblings (Aston‚Äôs children) are staying.
‚ÄúThato revealed that Phillip went on to ask if he or his siblings saw their father murdering their mother, and he was referring to the crime scene. Thato told me that he, however, refused to answer the questions as he was afraid especially because he was asked about where him and his siblings stay,‚ÄĚ said Zhalamonto.
Zhalamonto alluded to the court that he then went to Orange to confirm the communication between Thato and Molwantwa where he found the case.
‚ÄúI have arrested Philip yesterday and when I interviewed him, he did not deny that he knows Aston and that he has indeed called Thato and asked questions as to where him and his siblings resides even though he failed to give reasons for asking such questions,‚ÄĚ Zhalamonto told the court.
He further revealed that Molwantwa indicated that he had received a call from an unknown man who refused to reveal himself.
‚ÄúPhillip told me that the unknown man said he was sent by the accused (Aston), and that Aston had instructed him to tell me to check if there was still some money in his bank accounts, and he also wanted to know where the kids were residing, the unknown man even asked him to meet at Main Mall‚ÄĚ the Investigation Officer told the court.
He further informed the court that he is working tirelessly to identify the ‚Äúunknown caller‚ÄĚ and the route of the cell number.
Furthermore, the fourth accused,¬†Kebaleboge Ntsebe, has revealed to the court through a letter that she was abused and tortured by the Botswana Police Services. She wrote in her letter that she suffered miscarriage as a result of being beaten by the police.
Ntsebe is on bail, while a bail ruling for Aston and Kosie will be delivered on the 6th¬†of next month