Connect with us
Advertisement

Sebegos team take on Letshwiti

The struggle to build a new and recognizable Botswana Football Association (BFA) house amid taxing issues of internal politics is now being derailed. Roughly a year after the new BFA leadership was voted into power; conspiracy theories are now flying thick and fast.

A July interview hosted by one private radio station appears to have pitted the current BFA president MacLean Letshwiti against its former leader, Tebogo Sebego. The interview has since exposed the two contrasting faces of the BFA abode: the robust force of social equality within themselves, versus the tight control by the BFA leader and his men. It would seem the two football administrators never buried the hatchet after August 13, 2016 when Letshwiti threw Sebego off the power seat.

WeekendSport has in its possession messages detailing Sebego’s intent to either orchestrate Letshwiti’s fall as well as his ambitions to return to the rudder of BFA. By his own admission, Sebego has confirmed in his close circle of friends-a majority of whom form the nucleus of his campaign group that he is fed up with the way Letshwiti conducts himself as the leader of the association. “I feel insulted by MacLean. He doesn’t speak like a leader, and is very disrespectful. I respect other people, but his insult on (name of the radio station omitted) was the last straw for me. He needs to be put in his place,” a message to Sebego’s confidantes reads.

WeekendSport could not uncover the contents of the interview with Letshwiti on the said radio station, but it is said the BFA leader was taking swipe at the past regime for failing to pay player allowances as way back as 2014. When approached with the damning information, Letshwiti laughed off the chronometer of the events and says, “I am on the right path, I am busy cleaning the BFA mess.” While he could not divulge any more information, he said that his dream of turning the association into a professional set up is still alive. However, this publication can reveal, that there is a section of football administrators-past and incumbent-conniving to sabotage the current regime.

It appears that the Sebego group is happy to pin their hopes on Masego Nchingane – who heads the BFA technical wing. Nchingane, a former Zebras player, formed part of Sebego lobby group that contested for elections last year. He was one of the two administrators who won the seat from the Sebego side. His being inside Lesthwiti’s executive committee might be a point of reference to settle old scores. However, Letshwiti is in denial when it comes to Nchingane. He sees Nchingane as the best performing administrator at Lekdi football centre. Ironically Sebego praises Nchingane the same way the current president does.

“You are one of our future leaders and I want you not to derail. You are a good administrator and have the right credentials…” Sebego further wrote. The current regime is aware of the growing plot to oust the president. Football think tanks instrumental in the rise of Letshwiti to the BFA plum post argue that administrators serving within NEC and across different regions should be brought to book for their way ward behavior. Nchingane and the first division south chairman, Samuel Keitireng are walking a tight rope, not for their affiliation with Sebego, but for taking the interest of football to the jaws of the enemy.

With only a few days left (under a week) to the BFA first annual assembly since Letswhiti took the office, there were purpoted secret meetings held to trigger the fall of leadership. Sebego, although denying many times, appears to be ready to pounce back. He sees Letshwiti as a Sheppard leading the flock into dangerous territories. Sebego, while ironically referring to Letshwiti as “the President” wrote to his allies: “The president is pompous and is not willing to learn..it is bad for the association.”

Letshwiti’s reaction

Meanwhile, Letshwiti is on defence mode and has fired back during an interview with this publication, “I found a functionless league. I am repairing the existing structures. There was no youth league when I got into office; it has been introduced under my watch,” he says. “Believe it or not, I found the association plunging into serious debts. The accounts were on a red tape for the past 5 years.  We are still trying to recover from the 10.5 million debt, yet it is claimed we are on a free fall,” he said further.

Sebego responds

When reached for comment by this publication, Sebego denied being involved in any alleged ongoing fracas at BFA. “For now I am out of football and I’m relaxed I don’t want to be involved in football wrangles, but whenever there is something that is failing the incumbent attributes it to the past leadership. We have been in the game and football growth is a concern. There should be culture of respect, Fani (David) has never castigated Makgelemele (Philip) and I never did the same on Fani it is courtesy or humility.

But when you hear untruths or incorrect information about you it will concern you. We should respect each other; the reason why players are striking could not be attributed to us, during our times we did everything and it is disturbing to hear this peddled about you,” he highlighted in the lengthy tell-all interview.

“I was hurt but I didn’t have chance to respond, but the message is clear we should respect each other. The language used was not professional at all. I called and told him about it because I won’t talk on the corner and asked him to bring the facts, and he did apologise saying he was under pressure and stressed by a number of things including dismal performance of the national team,” he revealed further. Sebego further said: “I’m dealing with my law firm but I’m not lost to football, I keep sharing information with some because of my experience. I like imparting knowledge to others be it secretariat or about the laws of the game. But for now I’m just relaxed with my business,” he said, perhaps in attempt to douse rife talk that he wants to return to the hot seat.

Continue Reading

Sport

Orange Botswana gift Tebogo with P150K

28th September 2023

Local sprinter, Letsile Tebogo has been rewarded with a whopping P150 000.00 by Orange Botswana for his heroics at the recently held World Athletics Championships in Budapest, Hungary.

Speaking at a Handover Ceremony for Tebogo, Orange Botswana Acting Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Maano Masisi said, Orange Botswana is steadfast in their commitment to nurturing the youth and promoting sports in diverse ways.

“Letsile stands as a formidable force and an inspiration to young Batswana, showcasing the value of sports not only in Botswana but on an international stage through his remarkable achievements. Orange Botswana, furthermore, desires to cultivate enduring relationships with aspiring young Batswana, much like Letsile, who embody dedication, focus, and excellence in their endeavors. Letsile has already shattered records, etching new milestones for the African continent and beyond,”

Masisi further said the partnership aligns seamlessly with Orange Botswana’s dedication to acknowledging exceptional individual talent like Tebogo.

“As previously announced when we started this relationship, our collaboration with yourself entails financial support from Orange Botswana to fuel your journey in competitive sports, alongside your representation as the face of Orange Botswana,” he said.

For his part, Tebogo pleaded with Orange Botswana to extend his contract as it is beneficial to him, “I am thankful to Orange Botswana and I hope they could extent my contract as it has been very helpful.”

Meanwhile, Tebogo’s coach, Kebonyemodisa ‘Dose’ Mosimanyana was also showered with P10 000.00 for always ensuring that Tebogo is ready to take on the world.

 

 

 

Continue Reading

Sport

Athletes confront Minister Rakgare

25th September 2023

Local athletes, Zibane Ngozi and Letsile Tebogo have confronted Minister of Youth, Gender and Culture, Tumiso Rakgare citing lack of support during preparations.

Speaking at the World Champs team Welcome Ceremony on Wednesday, the 4 x 400m relay specialist and Team Captain, Ngozi urged some of the government officials inclusive of Botswana National Sport Commission (BNSC) representative, Rakgare to attend these high-profile competitions to witness the hardships they go through during these competitions.

“People need to understand it is not easy for us when we arrive at the World stage, there is a lot that is going on hence we need support in order for us to succeed as expected.

However, I am happy that immediately when I arrived in Botswana, BNSC credited our allowances which was a good thing because we had lots of debts (jokingly) thus we manage to settle them,” he said.

On the other hand, Tebogo who brought home two medals (silver and bronze) from 100m and 200m respectively at the World Champs said most athletes are going through depression due unfavorable conditions.

“Most of us going through depression because we lack support during preparations, we are only celebrated when we win but in hard times we are forgotten. Athletics is a difficult sport hence we need all the support we could to make it through and eventually amass medals as it is expected by our country,”

For his part, Rakgare admitted that local sport is faced with challenges, including but not limited to a tough sponsorship environment, limited or no sport in public schools, doping and leadership instability.

“I would of course be surprised if anyone of you would not agree with me that notwithstanding the challenges, we continue to achieve unprecedented results in sport, and the year to date is no exception,” he said.

Rakgare gave special recognition to Oratile Rose Nowe for heroics at the World Champs, “I would like to take this opportunity and congratulate Nowe for attaining a new personal best 2:01.62 in Women’s 800m, which also happens to be a national record. By the way, Oratile is the first Motswana woman to ever qualify for the World Championships in middle distance running.”

According to Rakgare, Government, recognizes athletes’ achievements at any and every competition, and that is why most recently, they have rewarded them at the Youth and Sport Awards.

“I would like to thank the Government of Botswana for their investment in sport. We continue to pride ourselves in being one of the best funders of sport per capita, and as indicated earlier, we are not intending to slow down anytime soon,”

On a lighter note, World Champs BW Team was rewarded by various companies such as Debswana, Choppies, Botswana Power Corporation (BPC) and also government as a token of appreciation for participating in Hungary.

Tebogo was rewarded with P560 000 from Debswana, Choppies and BPC for bringing two medals home, 4 x 400m men relay finalists (Ngozi, Baboloki Thebe, Laone Ditshetelo and Leungo were given P25 000 apiece for reaching the finals and participating by Debswana; while ladies (Tlhomphang Basele, Golekanye Chikani, Lydia Jele, Oratile Nowe, Galefele Moroko, Obakeng Kamberuka were given P10 000 each for participation.

In addition, the World Champs team amassed P926 000.00 of which P250 000 would go to Tebogo and the remaining P676 000 will be shared amongst the rest of the team.

 

 

 

 

Continue Reading

Sport

 BONA to host 2023 Africa Netball Cup

25th September 2023

With several local associations currently going through a rough patch in terms of financial quagmires, Botswana Netball Association (BONA) Public Relations Officer (PRO), Mokeresete Mokeresete is optimistic to host the 2023 Africa Netball Cup as per the request from African Netball Board (Executive Committee) because Uganda has pulled out.

Will it be successful or finally quench the thirst of competing internationally?

The African Netball Championships or Africa Netball Cup are a netball competition held every after two years with teams from across Africa competing for the top price.

BONA National team competed in the last edition of the Africa Netball Cup which was held in 2021 in Namibia and they finished in position seven which was average.

Last time BONA hosted an event of this magnitude was the 2017 Netball Youth World Cup which was indeed a success even though the local team (Dinaletsana) finished in position 10.

One would have thought that the Dinaletsana team which looked promising would eventually go on and conquer the world in the following international competitions. However, that has not been the case as they struggled to qualify for the recent World Cup which was held in the neighboring South Africa.

In addition, the Botswana Netball League was last played in November 2022 and in 2023 they hosted a Fast Five Netball Cup just before the Netball World Cup.

In an interview with WeekendSport this week, BONA Public Relations Officer (PRO) said they have accepted to host the 2023 Africa Netball Cup following the pulling out of Uganda.

“We have recently accepted a request to the 2023 Africa Netball Cup, however – we are still working on finalizing all the logistics that will be in play as you are aware that hosting an event requires a budget which might be difficult because we were given a smaller potion in the recent financial year.

Furthermore, we are yet to come up with a consolidated budget which could help us map a way forward as we really want to stage this particular competition. It is vital for us to host this competition as we want to revitalize local netball, we want to attract more for the league,” said Mokeresete Mokeresete.

MORE NETBALL ACTION AHEAD?

Mokeresete further hinted that the upcoming Independence Cup will be preparatory tournament for the upcoming Africa Netball Cup.

“We are going to host the Independence Cup of which we are expected at least 16 ladies’ teams and a few of male’ teams as we are still swiftly introducing the male section to the sport in Orapa.

However, prior to the action we are going conduct courses for match officials, technical official and coaches’ beginners’ level 1 courses as an effort of improve the standards of the sporting code,” hinted Mokeresete.

MISSING THE RECENT NETBALL WORLD CUP WAS CATASTROPHIC

According to BONA PRO, missing the recent Netball World Cup was catastrophic as players missed out on an opportunity to showcase their talents on the world stage which was bound to garner those deals to more professional countries in terms of Netball.

“We are seeing lots of movement for players from countries like Zimbabwe which is remarkable and that could have happened for our player – but it wasn’t to be as we did not qualify for the main event.

Moreover, through the World Cup Legacy Program, we have been awarded a sprung board and we are contention to transport it from South Africa to the country as one of the requirements to host a sporting event is to have a sprung floor,”

Meanwhile, the 2023 Africa Netball Cup is scheduled between November 26 – October 06 2023 at University of Botswana (UB) Indoor Sports Arena.

 

 

 

 

Continue Reading