South-East district council (SEDC) Chairperson Phenyo Segokgo has said it made sense for him to stick with the Botswana Movement of Democracy (BMD) following consensus with other councilors that his ward could only be bagged under the BMD.
The former BMD youth league president said this week that after months of speculation and a series of consultations with councillors and stakeholders in the districts he has decided to retrace his steps back to the BMD – which expelled him with seven others last year. “I have been consulting the whole district for the past three months and honestly there is no consensus pertaining to the issue and we met with councillors last week and we all agreed in principle that this is a BMD ward,” he told this publication this week.
There have been reports linking the youthful chairman to either Botswana Congress Party (BCP) or the Botswana National Front (BNF). However following consultations, it was resolved that Sefoke ward in Tlokweng, where Segokgo is ward councillor, is a BMD stronghold. “If they said it is BNF I would have joined it, likewise if they would have said BCP. The fundamental thing is to continue representing my party and Sefoke residents at council so that is how we arrived at that decision,” he clarified.
Despite this excitement, Segokgo may be forced to look for a new political home after February, post the UDC congress in Moshopa. “Remember I was expelled from the BMD so the ward has been placed under dispute to be resolved on the 24th of February at the UDC congress. Until then I cannot make any move to avoid the risk of not contesting the 2019 general elections,” he said.
He added that: “Yes sir we are just waiting for the congress, we are in constant talks. We held meetings with all UDC leaders on this matter,” he said when asked if it is promising that the impasse will be resolved and what would happen should the suspension be upheld. Segokgo was among the seven suspended BMD members, including president Ndaba Gaolathe and vice president Wynter Mmolotsi. The suspended members belonged to a group, called the Ndaba/Mmolotsi faction.
BMD chairperson, Nehemiah Modubule and secretary general, Gilbert Mangole led the other faction, which spearheaded the suspensions of Ndaba’s team. They were slapped with eight charges including insubordination, sowing seeds of division and bringing the party into disrepute.
The group he was suspended and subsequently expelled with from the BMD went on to form Alliance for Progressives (AP), but is he not considering joining his ‘allies’? “No I’m not joining the AP, the only party that can perform better is a party within the UDC-united front, without that I don’t think they will perform better,” he posited.
The Tlokweng native who apart from opposition parties was linked with the ruling BDP says he is not joining the BDP and he is happy with the UDC. BDP just like other parties had shown interest in the young politician to the extent that he was promised an ambassadorial post in Belgium, according to media reports.
Segokgo’s worth as a politician cannot be underestimated. He was unopposed for the position of the district chairmanship and has since then prioritized his district over his individual needs. He strongly advocates for plot allocation for the indigenous people in his area.
The BMD last year accused the suspended members of defying the party’s national working committee (NWC) decision, which directed them not to attend the BMD Youth League congress, which was held in Ramotswa in April. In fact, most of the eight charges were bordering on the activities of the Ramotswa congress which was not sanctioned by the party authorities.
Meanwhile BMD spokesperson, Rasina Rasina issued a statement on Thursday stating that though the issue of Primary Elections in the BMD has been escalated to the National Executive Committee (NEC) that will statutorily meet this coming Sunday (21st Janury 2018) in Molepolole to make final determinations on.
He said the BMD leadership will first communicate to the structures and, after final decisions have been made, Constituencies and Wards that shall go for primary elections and those that consensus candidates have and or will have been agreed will be communicated with.
“The BMD will then, secondly, issue a writ with respect to Constituencies and Wards where a consensus candidate(s) will and or has not been agreed by respective branches. The BMD leadership not only continues to prepare for 2019 General Elections in its 14 UDC given Constituencies but also in Wards of agreed incumbency and Wards that have been and those that will be shared with other UDC contracting partners on the agreed 40/60 principle,” he wrote.
The Botswana Democratic Party (BDP) Central Committee (CC) meeting, chaired by President Dr Mokgweetsi Masisi late last month, resolved that the party’s next Secretary-General (SG) should be a full-time employee based at Tsholetsa House and not active in politics.
The resolution by the CC, which Masisi proposed, is viewed as a ploy to deflate the incumbent, Mpho Balopi’s political ambitions and send him into political obscurity. The two have not been on good terms since the 2019 elections, and the fallout has been widening despite attempts to reconcile them. In essence, the BDP says that Balopi, who is currently a Member of Parliament, Minister of Employment, Labour Productivity and Skills Development, and a businessman, is overwhelmed by the role.
The Botswana Defence Force (BDF)-Namibians fatal shooting tragedy Inquest has revealed through autopsy report that the BDF carried over 800 bullets for the mission, 32 of which were discharged towards the targets, and 19 of which hit the targets.
This would mean that 13 bullets missed the targets-in what would be a 60 percent precision rate for the BDF operation target shooting. The Autopsy report shows that Martin Nchindo was shot with five (4) bullets, Ernst Nchindo five (5) bullets, Tommy Nchindo five (5) bullets and Sinvula Munyeme five (5) bullets. From the seven (7) BDF soldiers that left the BDF camp in two boats, four (4) fired the shots that killed the Namibians.
The former Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, Pelonomi Venson-Moitoi’s decision to apply for the positions of United Nations Special Representative of the Secretary-General (SRSG) and their deputies (DSRSG), has left the government confused over whether to lend her support or not, WeekendPost has established.
Moitoi’s application follows the Secretary-General’s launch of the third edition of the Global Call for Heads and Deputy Heads of United Nations Field Missions, which aims to expand the pool of candidates for the positions of SRSG) and their deputies to advance gender parity and geographical diversity at the most senior leadership level in the field. These mission leadership positions are graded at the Under-Secretary-General and Assistant Secretary-General levels.