Connect with us
Advertisement

Ministry slaps Kgosi with demand letter

The Ministry of Mineral Resources, Green Technology & Energy Security has put the Director of Directorate of Intelligence and Security, Isaac Kgosi in a tight corner, insisting that he gives them the exact date as to when he will pay back the National Petroleum Fund (NPF) loot.

In a savingram dated March 7, 2018 with the subject line: REFUND-NATIONAL PETROLEUM FUND, from the Energy Permanent Secretary and routed through the Ministry of Finance and Economic Development, the ministry wants Kgosi to furnish them with a date as to when he will pay back the funds to help them (ministry) communicate with creditors. The savingram was also copied to Kgosi and the Office of the President.

“We refer to communication between us and Director General, Directorate of Intelligence and Security (DIS) relating to the question of refunding the NPF by DIS of which the communication has been copied to yourself previously. The ministry is under tremendous pressure to settle several creditors, some of whom have gone to court in relation to Tshele Construction. The Attorney General has since advised that there is a court order that requires the parties to meet and report to the court on or before Thursday 8 March, 2018,” states the savingram.
“Whilst we appreciate your discussion with DIS, we will be grateful as to when the repayment by DIS would be credited to NPF. This will help us communicate definitive position with our creditors,” the Savingram further reads.  

In another savingram leaked to this publication, the Ministry of Minerals wrote directly to Kgosi on March 5, 2018 under the subject line: REIMBURSEMENT OF THE NATIONAL PETROLEUM FUND. The savingram states that, “As far as we can ascertain at the moment, about P230m was transacted into Khulaco Pty Ltd as evidenced with documentary proof.” Kebonang’s ministry also noted that it was unfortunate that they did not have details of payment made from the lump sum as they were not privy to the instructions Kgosi directed to Khulaco.

According to the documents NPF deposited the said amount into Khulaco’s account on three different dates. On August 25, 2017 NPF deposited P80m; another P80m was deposited on September 18, 2017 and P70m on October 16, 2017. Kebonang’s ministry further stated that while they appreciate the consultation between Kgosi and the Ministry of Finance, they wanted for the ministry to be put in the loop, “as the Fund is currently undergoing some financial strain limiting it to make good payments due to its clients”.

The background information of the case is that Bakang Seretse, Botho Leburu and Kenneth Kerekang were last year arraigned before a magistrate court on charges of money laundering. They were alleged to have between September, 05, 2017 and November, 27, 2017 in Gaborone, received over P250m.

Kgosi asked for funding from NPF to build strategic fuel storages across the country. The P250 million was approved by the Department of Energy. Kgosi then instructed Kenneth Kerekang, a Director at the Department of Energy to release funds to Khulaco (PTY) Ltd.  Kgosi then later said procurement of petroleum facilities is no longer a priority, saying he would divert the funds to wildlife poaching, human and drug trafficking.

‘KGOSI DID NOT AUTHORISE SOME PAYMENTS’

While Bakang Seretse and his lawyer, Kgosietsile Ngakaagae are demanding that Kgosi and others be charged because they authorized the transactions by Bakang’s company, inside sources say Kgosi has denied authorizing some of the payments. He is said to have stated that he only authorized payments to DIS suppliers whom he has proof. As things stand the DIS Director General is only aware of about P118 million which was used to procure equipment for the DIS in Israel.

Continue Reading

News

Hunt for new Ombudsman ongoing

17th August 2022

The Minister of Justice, Machana Shamukuni says the search to appoint the Ombudsman and other critical heads of department is currently ongoing and the process is expected to be completed before end of the year.

The Ombudsman position fell vacant almost five months ago after Augustine Makgonatsotlhe was removed from the office and appointed as Ambassador to Kuwait.

This content is locked

Login To Unlock The Content!

Continue Reading

News

Two Batswana detained in Zim for illegal trade in mercury

17th August 2022

Two Batswana nationals have been arrested in Zimbabwe for illegal trade in mercury. The duo is being held together with a Zimbabwean national who is being questioned by the Zimbabwe Republic Police (ZRP).

This publication understands that the suspects who are aged between 39 and 56 years hail from Tutume and Selebi-Phikwe. At the time of the arrest, they were found in possession of a pistol, bomb motor and four live rounds. It is understood that the suspects told investigators during interrogation that the deadly substance has a lucrative market in Far East countries, where the demand is high. It is further reported that the suspects claimed that the mercury can be easily accessed in mines through middleman.

This content is locked

Login To Unlock The Content!

Continue Reading

News

No end in sight for Botswana/ Namibia looming border row

17th August 2022

The Namibian Lives Matter Movement has weighed in on the looming border dispute between their country and Botswana.

Commenting on reports that the Namibian Parliament has dispatched a committee along the border between the two countries on fact finding mission, the group commended“the National Assembly’s Standing Committee on Foreign Affairs, De-fence and Security that will engage community members living along the Namibia Botswana Border in conducting public hearings into acts of aggression and brutality by Botswana Defence (BDF) Force against innocent and unarmed Namibians.” 

This content is locked

Login To Unlock The Content!

Continue Reading
Weekend Post