Connect with us
Advertisement

Drago drags GU to FIFA over debt

It does not rain but pours for the beleaguered Gaborone United as once again the team is facing the claws and jaws of Federation of International Football Association (FIFA) over debt of former coach, Dragojlo Stanojlović.

The reds who are teetering on the verge of bankruptcy are already in bad books of FIFA as they are expected to pay another US$39,000 for unilaterally terminating their former striker Appiah Bismarck’s contract. The club board had consulted its lawyers and wrote back to FIFA, requesting for an extension of the payment deadline for a further 3-6 months. The initial deadline was April 3. Initially he was the team’s Technical Director before GU parted ways with their then gaffer Rahman Gumbo where he then assumed full responsibility of the technical bench.

“Drago was to get P25, 000 per month in a two years contract, he asked the then chairman Rapula Okaile as to why they don’t adjust the contract since the responsibilities had changed and he was promised, but in vain. What is surprising is he then went on for 19 months without pay until he left the club unceremoniously in 2016,” a source close to the developments said.

Before Drago engaged his Serbian based lawyer on the matter and subsequently writing to FIFA last year, he was negotiating with the team on how best to put the matter to bed and not considering the FIFA route. “They talked and he was saying if they assured him he will not go to FIFA and even after writing to them he was ready to withdraw the case but the dilly-dallying by the team coerced him to,” said a source.

It is said the cosmetic dealings by the team forced him to submit a letter to FIFA which has since written to the team. The team has since acknowledged the receipt of the FIFA letter and say prior to that they were negotiating with Drago on how to pay him. “We know about that and we are still carrying our own investigations because there are rumours that by the time he was sitting on the bench he did not have a work permit. But yes we did agree with him on the payment plan but we are still engaging our advisor on how to deal with it,” club chairperson Boitumelo Nsunge said.

The negotiations were to pay Drago in a space of two months. When contacted for comment the Serbian could not be drawn into discussing the matter further but said: “All the teams in Botswana owe me and yes I have a case with GU and Sankoyo. Only Township Rollers is honouring the contract we agreed,” he said. Sources at Gaborone United say the club has a maximum of P 300 000 in its account.

GU is slowly sliding down the log with only 39 points from 25 matches. The team is languishing on fifth position.  It is widely publicized that the team, if nothing changes, will lose its quality players. The team’s top two strikers, Teenage Orebonye and Thatayaone Kgamanyane are likely to dump the club for greener pastures. Also on the move is Kabelo Seakanyeng who has played a starring role for the club for a long time Drago arrived in Botswana in 2013 mentoring Mochudi Centre Chiefs; he later joined Extension Gunners, GU, and Sankoyo before moving to Rollers.

Continue Reading

Sport

Kavazovic reveals Rollers plans

26th October 2020
GALABGWE MOYANA AND LEMPONYE TSHIRELETSO

Township Rollers Head Coach, Nikola Kavazovic, has left a note on management’s table addressing the futures of Galabgwe Moyana and Lemponye Tshireletso. The duo had their stay at the club in the spotlight as debate over refreshing the squad raged on.

It is reported that Kavazovic had scheduled talks with the attacking midfielders as he seeks to convince them to stay for one more season at the club. The gaffer wants to turn the club’s pot of gold into silverware one more time.

Moyana had already offered himself to premier league rookies, Masitaoka Football Club.However, Rollers has other experienced players and the expectation is that many titles will still be won.

However, the club has made it known that it wants to traverse a torrid passage of CAF champion’s league, reaching group stages, at the very least.It is in this regard that Kavazovic will wants Moyana and Tshireletso to stay.

He hopes their injury nightmares will be arrested hence they could take leading roles to stir the Rollers ship to victory again.More often than not during the last season, their absence left Rollers struggling.But they too, could struggle to return to full fitness missing the opportunity to drive Rollers back to glory days, alongside the rest of Roller veterans in skipper Maano Ditshupo and Ofentse Nato.

But the team’s insistence and promise to make a loud impact in the coming season is still awaiting confirmation. The duo in particular will have to stand strong otherwise the ambition mirrors a tomorrow that will never come.

Engendered into the multi-million project of Jagdish Shah, the players were recruited to embody the present and future of the club and true to that testament, both have played a pivotal role for Rollers to win more silverware.

The talent of the duo, after reuniting with Kavazovic, should make the case for Rollers to once again make headline impact, particularly in the CAF competition starting next year January. Kavazovic agrees that as a unit they could find an edge as clubs are preparing for a return to the field.

Away from the Rollers stage, both players have won many titles with Mochudi Centre Chiefs and are still loved by their followers.When reached for comment, Rollers media liaison officer, Phempheretlhe Pheto, said there are in fact four players who were supposed to leave the club.

He said all will be decided after talks are completed as each player will face the management about the way forward.“It is not only the two guys, they are about four players whose contracts have expired but each one of them is expected to negotiate with management. Their future will be determined by the outcome of the talks,” he said.

The other two players are Kaone van der Westhuizen who is playing as a left back as well as Bogosi Nfila who was signed to bring goals.

 

Continue Reading

Sport

Ramoraka’s situation at TS Galaxy explained

26th October 2020
Lesenya Ramoraka

Botswana international defender, Lesenya Ramoraka’s situation at TS Galaxy has been explained by his agent Tumi Gabonamong.

The 26 year old defender found himself in a tight situation after his club; Highlands Park’s status was bought by renowned football agent Tim Sukazi of TS Galaxy.

The sudden changes meant that some players were to be released by the team to accommodate new recruitments and changes at the club. As the club status was acquired, Ramoraka’s contract at Highlands was left with a year and the club opted to keep him despite spending much time on the side-lines due to injuries.

According to Gabonamong the lanky left back is part of the new TS Galaxy team although he was not included in the team list for this season. As per information gathered, Ramoroka will only be registered with the team in the next transfer window slated for January.

“He is very much still part of the team. He is currently nursing an injury he sustained during the bubble games. He will of course start training end of November or beginning of December. They’ll only register him in the next transfer period, he’s part of the team,” said Gabonamong.

Ramoraka has proven himself since joining the team in 2018 from Orapa United. Lee as Ramoraka is known in football circles has so far played 29 games for the team, netting only once.

“Ramoraka is one of the players that survived the changes at the team, remember the team doesn’t have many left backs and he is a quality player having so far cemented a place in the starting line-up. I believe after his injury he will fight for a place as usual.

That is why the team kept him therefore people shouldn’t worry that he is not registered this season.There is no need to register a player when you know he will be out for some time. It is only advisable for you to offer him more playing time more especially that he is a foreigner this side.

Again, his injury is healing and he will come back sooner than later. The aim is to keep him this side even when he might not renew his contract but chances are he will be with the team for some time because they have shown much value on him,” explained the wife of former Zebras midfielder, Mogogi Gabonamong

Continue Reading

Sport

Tshosane vs Sebego: Water under the bridge?

26th October 2020
RECONCILED?Former Zebras Coach Tshosane and former BFA President Sebego

RECONCILED? Former Zebras Coach tshosane and former BFA President Sebego

In the build up to the Botswana Football Association (BFA) National Executive Committee elections, former Senior National Team Coach, Stanley Tshosane had threatened to sue presidential aspirant, Tebogo Sebego, after the latter made suggestions on national radio that the performance of the national team was appalling during the former’s tenure.

Tshosane, who claimed reputational damage, said a number allegations made by Sebego were baseless and unfounded. Sources say Tshosane was livid that Sebego tarnished his reputation and integrity when he deposited averments on national broadcasters to the effect that the national team performance had reached its lowest ebb before the appointment of Brighton Peter Butler.

The Englishman came to supplant Tshosane just a year after The Zebras returned from their maiden African Cup of Nations edition of 2012.Tshosane was therefore ready to draw first blood and demanded retraction, further threatening a legal route in the event Sebego did not act as prescribed.

According to sources close the developments, Sebego however demonstrated leadership qualities and apologized, letting bygones be bygones. Sources say the former BFA administrators have smoked a peace pipe especially that Sebego’s ambition of becoming president disappeared a fortnight ago when he lost again to MacLean Letshwiti in a tightly contested election.

The animosity between Tshosane and Sebego first played out in 2013 when Sebego’s administration sacked the former coach, giving one simple explanation that he was failing to inspire the collective belief within the national squad.

It is said that Tshosane never forgave the past administration for firing him especially that he was on sick leave at the time the letter was delivered to him by the then Chief Executive Officer, Keith Masters. Tshosane was fresh from penning a new deal when he was terminated. At the time he sought legal redress claiming prejudice.

It is not yet clear if Tshosane and the BFA administration have ironed out their differences. When his situation grew precarious in 2013, he felt he was sabotaged by the people he trusted.But sources say the Jackalas number 1 born coach now enjoys a healthy relationship with the association and that is why there is talk suggesting his possible return.

Tshosane was not available for comment as his phone rang unanswered while Sebego refused altogether to share details saying; “I cannot respond to allegations, I mean we need to be respected, this is just senseless.”

Stan, who is now over 60 years, was first appointed to the position of Botswana Senior National Team Coach in 2008, following a short spell as caretaker coach. In 2012, he led the Zebras to their first appearance in AFCON 2012 co-hosted by Gabon and Equatorial Guinea.

A year later, in October, after BFA new leadership assumed power and he was sacked for failing to re-write his 2012 success football story. Critics then suggested he was only offered the job because the football association could not afford to hire a better reputable “name’’.

Stan had previously been assistant to the Serbian mentor, Veselin Jelušić, as well as English manager, Colwyn Rowe, for the national team.

Whilst working as an assistant for the national team, he had also been manager of the Botswana Defence Force XI (BDF XI) for a lengthy spell. Stan had also played for BDF XI in his glory days as a football player.

Continue Reading
Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!