Connect with us
Advertisement

Venson-Moitoi throws Tsogwane in deep end

Following former President Lt Gen Ian Khama’s much anticipated Serowe meeting today (Saturday), former Botswana Democratic Party (BDP) presidential candidate Pelonomi Venson-Moitoi will also host another meeting in Serowe.

The nitty-gritty and the agenda of the anticipated Venson-Moitoi meeting remains secret but sources indicate that Vice President Slumber Tsogwane, who is also party chairman is expected to officiate at the event. Even though the events are still sketchy, reports reaching this publication have it that Venson- Moitoi gave Slumber Tsogwane an ultimatum to attend and officiate at her meeting in Serowe. A source close to the development said Venson-Moitoi is putting Tsogwane’s character at test to see if indeed President Masisi mean his words about uniting the party.

However Tsogwane is believed to have remained mum on the issue and is playing his cards safe. The Vice President who is known to be a Masisi loyalist is now caught in between a hard rock. Tsogwane is expect to discuss Venson-Moitoi’s invitation with Masisi before making a commitment.  It is not yet clear whether Tsogwane will attend as he is yet to respond to the invite from Venson-Moitoi.        

      
Venson-Moitoi a party stalwart who is viewed as Masisi’s rival and former President Ian Khama’s close associate is seen as a messiah who can unite the party particularly in the Central region where Venson-Moitoi enjoyed massive support in the build up to contentious Kang Special Congress last month. The BDP fears that Khama’s influence in the region will plunge the party in further crisis, as the former party leader continues his hostility with the incumbent.

Khama, after emerging as Masisi nemesis declared her support for Venson-Moitoi ahead of Kang and has helped hype the latter’s presidential campaigns. Venson-Moitoi later withdrew from the race on the eleventh hour citing her displeasure at how the whole process was conduct and how she was harassed and abused together with the entire campaign. Upon declaring her presidential bid Venson-Moitoi was then dropped from cabinet and her campaign was marred by clandestine and mysterious de-campaigning by the pro-Masisi faction.

In his victory speech at Kang President Masisi promised democrats that he will call Venson- Moitoi to his office because he needs her support to unite the party. However, the fruit of the meeting is yet to be realised, with the two parties remaining mum on the outcomes of their discussions. It is understood that Masisi failed to meet some of Venson-Moitoi’s demands. One of the demands was a request to have all the disciplinary hearings which were scheduled for some councillors who attended the Serowe elders meeting dropped.

 The end result of the disciplinary hearing have seen two party legisaltors, who were associated with Venson-Moitoi’s campaign Samson Moyo Guma and Prince Maele being expelled from the party. Today (Saturday) former President Khama will address Bangwato in Serowe where it is expected that his future in politics will be decided. “The meeting will resolve in a number of issues including among others the current state of the party, what have been happening and what I have been going through”, said Khama on Thursday.

The former President continued to say everyone is invited but his intension was not to have President Masisi or party members but everyone is welcome. However, Khama said the meeting is not about reconciliation because prospects of reconciliation are unsubstantiated.

Continue Reading

News

African countries call on WHO to increase funding

2nd February 2023

Minister of Health Dr Edwin Dikoloti says Africa member states call on World Health Organization (WHO) to ensure equitable resource allocation for 2024-2025. Dr Dikoloti was speaking this week at the WHO Executive Board Meeting in Geneva, Switzerland.

He said countries agreed that there is need to address the budget and funding imbalances by increasing the programme budget share of countries and regions to 75% for the next year.

“The proposed budget for 2024-2025 marks an important milestone as it is the first in Programme Budget in which country offices will be allocated more than half of the total budget for the biennium. We highly welcome this approach which will enable the organization to deliver on its mandate while fulfilling the expectations for transparency, efficiency and accountability.”

The Botswana Health Minister commended member states on the extension of the General Programme of Work (GPD 13) and the Secretariat work to monitor the progress towards the triple billion targets, and the health-related SDGs.

“We welcome the Director’s general proposed five priorities which have crystalized into the “five Ps” that are aligned with the GPW 13 extension. Impact can only be achieved through close coordination with, and support to national health authorities. As such, the strengthening of country offices is instrumental, with particular focus on strengthening national health systems and on promoting more equitable access to health services.”

According to Dr Dikoloti, the majority of countries with UHC index that is below the global median are in the WHO Africa region. “For that, we call on the WHO to enhance capacity at the regional and national levels in order to accelerate progress. Currently, the regional office needs both technical and financial support in order to effectively address and support country needs.”

Continue Reading

News

Botswana still weighing in on Maseko’s assassination

27th January 2023

The Minister of Foreign Affairs, Dr. Lemogang Kwape says Botswana has not taken any position regarding the killing of a renowned human rights lawyer, Thulani Maseko, who was gunned down at his house in Mbabane, Eswatini.

In a brief interview with WeekendPost, Dr Kwape said Botswana has not yet taken any position regarding his death. He said the purported incident should be thoroughly probed before Botswana can form an opinion based on the findings of the inquiries.

“Botswana generally condemns any killing of human life by all means,” says Dr. Kwape. He wouldn’t want to be dragged on whether Botswana will support the suspension of Eswatini from SADC.

“We will be guided by SADC organ Troika if they can be an emergency meeting. I am not sure when the meeting will be called by Namibian president,“ he said.

However, the Namibian president Hage Geingob notes with deep concern reports coming out of Eswatini about the killing of Mr. Maseko. In a statement, he called upon the “Government of the Kingdom of Eswatini to ensure that the killing of Maseko is swiftly, transparently and comprehensively investigated, and that any or all persons suspected of committing this heinous crime are brought to justice.”

Maseko was chairperson of the Multi-Stakeholder Forum which was established as a coalition of non-State actors to advocate for a process of national political dialogue aimed at resolving the security and political challenges confronting the Kingdom.

“SADC expresses its deepest and heartfelt condolences to the family of Mr. Maseko, his friends, colleagues, and to the people of the Kingdom of Eswatini for the loss of Mr. Maseko. In this context, SADC further calls upon the people of the Kingdom of Eswatini to remain calm, exercise due care and consideration whilst the appropriate structures conduct the investigations and bring the matter to completion,” the statement says.

Geingob reiterated the need for peaceful resolution of the political and security challenges affecting the country.

Meanwhile political activists are calling on SADC to suspend Eswatini from the block including the African Union as well.

Continue Reading

News

Kopong Murder: Accused interferes with witnesses again!

27th January 2023

State prosecutor, Seeletso Ookeditse revealed before the Broadhurst Magistrate Jobbie Moilatshimo that the third accused involved in the murder of Barulaganye Aston, has interfered with the State witnesses again.

The second and third accused (Lefty Kosie and Outlwile Aston) were previously accused of interference when they were caught in possession of cellphones in prison. They were further accused of planning to kill the deceased’s brother, who is currently the guardian to the children of the deceased.

Ookeditse indicated that Outlwile had earlier went to challenge the magistrate’s decision of denying him bail at the High Court before Judge Michael Motlhabi.

“The third accused approached the High Court and made a bail application, which was dismissed on the same day,” Ookeditse said.

However, even after the High Court verdict on their bail application, the duo (Kosie and Aston) has once again applied for bail this week.

Ookeditse plead with the court to stop the accused from abusing the court process.

“Yesterday, Directorate of Public Prosecutions (DPP) received papers of his bail application filed before the Broadhurst Magistrates Court. However, the papers do not speak to changed circumstances, therefore this back and forth about bail must be put to a stop,” said the State prosecutor.

While giving evidence before court, the Investigations Officer, Detective Inspector Quite Zhalamonto, said his investigations have proved that there is interference continuing regarding the accused trio.

He told the court that on the 12th of January 2023, he received a report from Thato Aston, who is the son of the accused and the deceased. The son had alleged to the Investigation Officer that he received a call from one Phillip Molwantwa.

According to Zhalamonto, Thato revealed that Molwatwa indicated that he was from prison on a visit to the Outlwile Aston and went on to ask where he was staying and where his siblings (Aston’s children) are staying.

“Thato revealed that Phillip went on to ask if he or his siblings saw their father murdering their mother, and he was referring to the crime scene. Thato told me that he, however, refused to answer the questions as he was afraid especially because he was asked about where him and his siblings stay,” said Zhalamonto.

Zhalamonto alluded to the court that he then went to Orange to confirm the communication between Thato and Molwantwa where he found the case.

“I have arrested Philip yesterday and when I interviewed him, he did not deny that he knows Aston and that he has indeed called Thato and asked questions as to where him and his siblings resides even though he failed to give reasons for asking such questions,” Zhalamonto told the court.

He further revealed that Molwantwa indicated that he had received a call from an unknown man who refused to reveal himself.

“Phillip told me that the unknown man said he was sent by the accused (Aston), and that Aston had instructed him to tell me to check if there was still some money in his bank accounts, and he also wanted to know where the kids were residing, the unknown man even asked him to meet at Main Mall” the Investigation Officer told the court.

He further informed the court that he is working tirelessly to identify the “unknown caller” and the route of the cell number.

Furthermore, the fourth accused, Kebaleboge Ntsebe, has revealed to the court through a letter that she was abused and tortured by the Botswana Police Services. She wrote in her letter that she suffered miscarriage as a result of being beaten by the police.

Ntsebe is on bail, while a bail ruling for Aston and Kosie will be delivered on the 6th of next month

Continue Reading