Home » News » Business » Transport sector performs below par in Q1 2019

Transport sector performs below par in Q1 2019

Publishing Date : 19 August, 2019

Author : TLHABO KGOSIEMANG

Statistics Botswana’s transport and infrastructure brief indicates that the sector performed extremely poorer in the first quarter of 2019. The sector consists of air, water and railway transport as well as motor vehicle registrations.


A total of 14,795 aircraft movements were recorded for Q1 2019, which was a 24.3 percent decrease compared to Q4 2018. The bulk of aircraft movements were domestic, which constituted 70.9 percent of the total aircraft movements while international aircraft movements accounted for the remaining 29.1 percent. In comparison to the same quarter of the previous year, Q1 2018, total aircraft movements decreased by 5.7 percent, international movements increased by 6.3 percent while domestic movements decreased by 9.9 percent.


Air transport gives the movement of aircrafts and air passengers both locally and internationally. The movements are categorised into scheduled, non-scheduled and private movements. Scheduled aircrafts refers to commercial airlines operating on a time table while non-scheduled aircrafts refers to commercial aircrafts which do not have to operate using a time table but operate as and when needed. Private movements refers to non-commercial individual aircrafts.


In Q1 2019 most aircraft movements were non-scheduled movements, they accounted for 67.7% percent of total movements. Scheduled and private movements accounted for 28.3 percent and 3.9 percent of total aircraft movements recorded respectively. In comparison to the previous quarter, Q4 2018, all the types of movements recorded a decrease. Non-scheduled movements registered a decrease of 30 percent. Scheduled and private movements decreased by 6.4 and 32. 1% respectively. Compared to the same quarter of the previous year, only scheduled movements registered an increase of 7.6% while private and non-scheduled movements decreased by 10.4 and 5,1% respectively.


In Q1 2019, non-scheduled arrivals and departures accounted for 34 and 33.9% respectively to total aircraft movements. Scheduled movements both arrivals and departures constituted the largest proportion in international aircraft movements while non-scheduled movements dominated in domestic aircraft movements. Scheduled flights made up 74.2 percent of total aircraft movements while non-scheduled flights accounted for 87 percent of total domestic aircraft movements.


Most of aircraft movements were recorded in Maun, with 57.2% of total aircraft movements, Sir Seretse Khama International Airport accounted for 27% of total aircraft movements making it the second highest aircraft movements. Ghanzi and Selibe-Phikwe airports received the least number of aircraft movements constituting only 0.1% each. The month of March registered most aircraft movements, with 40% of the total. January and February accounted for 31.4% and 29% of total aircraft movements respectively.


During the quarter under review, most of the international movements were recorded at Sir Seretse Khama International Airport with 70% of total international aircraft movements. Maun airport handled mostly domestic movements, accounting for 74% of the domestic movements. Compared to the previous quarter, Q4 2018, in international movements, only two airports namely Ghanzi and Selibe-Phikwe registered an increase, while the other airports recorded a decrease. In domestic movements, all airports recorded a decrease, with the most notable decline at Selibe-Phikwe airport (57%). This may be due to the fact that Selibe-Phikwe and Ghanzi airports only deal with private aircrafts.


During the quarter under review, 179,843 air passenger movements were recorded. This was a decrease of 20% compared to those recorded in the previous quarter. Compared to the same quarter of the previous year, Q1 2018, Q1 2019 recorded an increase of 6% in air passenger movements. International movements contributed 60% to total passenger movements and the remaining 40% were domestic movements.


Scheduled passenger flights accounted for 81% of total air passenger movements while non-scheduled and private passenger flights contributed 18.1% and 1% respectively. When compared to the previous quarter, Q4 2018, all the three types of flights recorded a decrease; private passenger flights recorded a decrease of 26 percent, while scheduled and non-scheduled flight movements decreased by 15% and 40% respectively.


Motor vehicle registration deals with licensing of vehicle with respect to those registered for the first time and renewal pf pre-existing ones. A total of 13 thousand vehicles were registered for the first time in Q1 2019. This was a decrease of 11.7% compared to the previous quarter, Q4 2018. Most of the vehicles registered for the first time were passenger cars accounting for 74.5%, followed by vans with 10%. Motor cycles were registered the least number of first registrations with 0.4%. Compared to the same quarter of the previous year, Q1 2018, vehicles registered for the first time increased by 6%.


Most of the first registrations done in Q1 2019 were used vehicles constituting 80% of total first registrations. Brand new and rebuilt vehicles accounted for 20% and 0.1% respectively. The highest number of firstly registered vehicles were imported from Japan with 72% of the total first registrations. Out of these, 99.5% were used vehicles and only 0.5% were new. South Africa followed with 19.5 percent of total imported vehicles with 84 percent of those vehicles being new.


Singapore was the third in line of those countries from which Botswana imports vehicles, it accounted for 3% of total first registrations. Most of the new vehicles were imported from South Africa which accounted for 84% of total brand new vehicles. Vehicles bought in Botswana followed with 7%. Brand new vehicles from Japan and Korea accounted for 1.9% each. Rebuilt vehicles originated from only three countries; Botswana at 72 percent, Japan 18 percent and United Kingdom at 9%.


In Q1 2019, Gaborone accounted for a high number of first registrations with 67% of total first registrations, Francistown followed with 9.2% of total vehicles registered for the first time. Lobatse recorded 5 percent, Ramotswa 4.0% while Molepolole and Maun registered 3.6 and 2.8% respectively. Most of the registration stations recorded a decrease in vehicles registered for the first time in Q1 2019 compared to Q4 201. Vehicles registered for the first time in Gaborone went down by 8.7%, Francistown registered a 12% decrease. The most notable decrease was in Bobonong with 83%. Other registration stations with high decreases were Tsabong with 65%, Kang 57% and Gumare with 50%


Toyota proved to be the most popular motor vehicle make, registering 40% of total first registrations.it was followed by Honda with 13%, VW was the third favourite make registering 9% of total first registrations. Mazda and Nissan registered 7.7 and 6.7% of total first registrations respectively. Massey Ferguson was the favourite make for tractors. It constituted 59% of the total registered tractors. Home-made vehicles contributed 31% of the total registered trailers.


Compared to the previous quarter Q4 2018, Q1 2019 showed a decline in most makes of vehicles. Toyota recorded a 13% decrease in first registrations while Madza and VW declined by 30 and 9% respectively. Nissan declined by 4% in Q1 2019 compared to vehicles registered in Q4 2018. In Q1 2019 most of the registrations were done in the month of March which accounted for 37% of total first registrations. The months of January and February constituted 31 and 32% respectively. Compared to the same months of the previous year, Q1 2018, January increased by 11%, while February and March registrations increased by 7.7 and 1.2% respectively.


A total of 306 thousand net tonnes were transported using rail in Q1 2019 which was a 16.1 percent decrease from goods transported in Q4 2018. Goods transported by rail in Q1 2019 decreased in most categories compared to Q4 2018. Total imports decreased by 24% and total exports decreased by 17%. Local traffic went down by 2.2% while Botswana total declined by 18%. An increase was realized in transit traffic which went up by 94% percent. Transit traffic is not marketed, so it is up to people who transport goods to other countries if they want to use Botswana rail or not, that is why transit traffic is not consistent. Compared to the same quarter at the previous years, goods transported by rail in Q1 2018 decreased by 27%.


Total revenue of P62.6 Million was generated in Q1 2019, showing an increase of 13.4% from what was generated in the previous quarter, Q4 2018. Compared to the same quarter of the previous year, Q1 2019 registered a decline of 27.3% in revenue generated. Most of the revenue generated in Q1 2019 came from Botswana total which accounted for 96.3% of total revenue. Revenue generated from Botswana Origin goods made up to 61.4% of total revenue while revenue from Total Exports and total imports constituted 45% and 35% of total revenue respectively.

Cartoon

Polls

Do you think the courts will help put the UDC, BMD impasse within reasonable time ahead of the 2019 General Election?

banner_14.jpg
banner_12.jpg

POPULER BRANDS